Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this forum. I have to say 99% of the time I get great info off of here. Okay, I have another noob question? A gear head I know told me that I could get more horses by backing out (not completely) this one small screw on my throttle body. He said backing out this screw created more of a vacuum. So I tried it. I backed the screw out with engine running and could imediately hear a more airy noise. Damn near a hiss. So I took my 97 Civic EX on a test drive... Didn't really notice a difference in performance but call me crazy it seemed like the engine was backfiring alot more. First of all; What causes backfiring? And secondly did me messing with the throttle body cause the increased frequency of back firing?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
i think the screw you messed with is the idle screw. it lets more air in at idle and causes it to idle slightly higher. the hiss you heard was likely air goin into the engine. if its backfiring, put the screw back to where it was. while it allows the car to run more lean, it isnt running as healthy. the very slight increase in power isnt worth it.

correct me if im wrong someone.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
all its doing is raising ur idle..i dont see it making much difference at all. plus on ur 97 obd2 car..i wouldnt even try that shit cus most likely ull end up with a check engine light.

·
Registered
908 Posts
This "tweak" wastes gas at idle and doesn't help much if at all. When the engine is warm (the radiator fan comes on at least twice after starting it) set the screw so the engine idles at about 700 rpms.

If you don't have a tach you are going to have to either do it by ear or get a tach. All of my cars have had tachs from the factory/previous owner or installed soon after I got it, I know there is a way to set the idle with the help of an external tachometer or something but I've never had one.

Edit: Ah you have an EX, so you probably have a tach. Nevermind the last paragraph.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
CuRTDoG said:
I love this forum. I have to say 99% of the time I get great info off of here. Okay, I have another noob question? A gear head I know told me that I could get more horses by backing out (not completely) this one small screw on my throttle body. He said backing out this screw created more of a vacuum. So I tried it. I backed the screw out with engine running and could imediately hear a more airy noise. Damn near a hiss. So I took my 97 Civic EX on a test drive... Didn't really notice a difference in performance but call me crazy it seemed like the engine was backfiring alot more. First of all; What causes backfiring? And secondly did me messing with the throttle body cause the increased frequency of back firing?
i wouldn't refer to the guy as a gear head anymore since apparently he thinks the hissing noise gives you more hp......

backfiring is when the fuel is not completely burned in the combustion chamber and is pushed into the exhaust system, then it ignites inside the exhaust form the amount of heat in the piping.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i know what screw your talking about i'd say dont play with it, unless your idle is bouncing that screw wont really do much (i've only ever used it to fix the idle in my friends accord when the idle started rising and falling by its self)
and i think that if you mess with it you'll just make your engine run too lean and maybe screw your idle up then you gotta get back under there(the hood) and fix it so theres no point in having to mess with it twice :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.