Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey wahts up i havent seen this question yet in here so ill ask now i got a motor with a broken tps broke beyond repair its just a d16 (my secret weapon shhh) now i read alot about people ordering motors and they come with brokes tps sensors my question is where can i find one? can i use one off a dual point they look exactly the same whats are my options?

· Registered
554 Posts
I've been told a tps is a tps. It's what I've been told so don't quote me on this. But my friend swapped his tps from his Dx D16y7 to his JDM teg r motor due to broken tps from shipping and it's working just fine. So to me a tps is a tps. So give it a try CantBFaster- it won't hurt ya.

· Registered
714 Posts
Most of the tps sensors should work the same. I gave my friend a tps off of my old D16A6 throttle body for his B17A throttle body. His car is still doing fine to this day.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
this statement is wrong.....a TPS is not a TPS....the car will run....and you might think it is running fine.....but most likely it will be running lean or something to that effect.........if you do not have the right TPS on your car it will run all kinds of fucked up........i have had this problem before i used the wrong TPS and it was running WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY lean........

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok but did the tps you use look exactly like the one you took off? see the dx tps on 88 to 91 civic crx is the one i have access to and it looks very similar to the si 88 to 91 civic crx thats why im asking and how do you get em off just drill it right then just use new screws?

· Registered
1,428 Posts
yes they looked identical (in my case) and yes that is the way you take them out, however they have different settings in them and if you use the wrong one the car will run wrong...it might feel right but it wont be

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i just got off the phone with 3 honda dealers and they all gave me the same price $535.88 for a tps since they dont sell just the tps they sell the whole throttle body ,so im gonna try one off a dx for right now cause i dont have that kind of money and ill post my cars reaction to it i have a air and fuel gauge so ill see if im running lean or rich

· Registered
1,052 Posts
CrxCantBFaster said:
how does it turn in oposite directions i know the crank sensor and stuff like that inside the distibutor turn oposite of the si but the throttle opens and closes how would it be backword i dont understand:confused:
It is acuated by the throttle cable the opposite way (It turns backwards). And we are talking on the 88-91 DX with the dual point fuel injection system. I assumed this is what he was asking about since he has a Si that is a 90' if we aren't talking 88-91 DX then yes it would interchange. Any motor any year they are all the same. And the guy saying it was lean or something doesn't make sense cause if you adjust it right to be near or 0 volts closed and 5 volts at WOT then there is no difference in the TPS at all. The TPS is merely a potentiometer and nothing more than that. If you don't know what a potentiometer or vairable resistor is or means then you shouldn't be adjusting or fucking with your TPS at all.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok let me make sure i clear this up a 88 to 91 dual point tps will not work even if i drilled it out and put it in the si intake no matter which way i put it it will turn backwords and wont be right correct ? but any other tps will work?

· Registered
1,052 Posts
CrxCantBFaster said:
ok let me make sure i clear this up a 88 to 91 dual point tps will not work even if i drilled it out and put it in the si intake no matter which way i put it it will turn backwords and wont be right correct ? but any other tps will work?
Got it but maybe the 96+ civic's with the down draft throttle body won't work either as I think they might turn the opposite way too now that I'm thinking about it. Just as long as you get one from a side draft throttle body you should be good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.