Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad long story short.. got pulled over by highway patrol. and got ticket for "exhuast modifications".... i have 98 base lude w/apexi n1 exhuast.. is there any way i can challenge this and not pay the fine? on the ticket.. where it says, fixable or something, the cop checked no... so can i not challenge it, (put silencer on, or stock exhuast)? my friend, told me apex n1 isn't carb leagal... is that true? one more thing, actually 2.. how much would fine be, and will this raise insurance..? blahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
no it won't raise insurance...its not a moving violation. The Apexi N1 might be 50 state legal. Check http://www.apexi-usa.com/

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
jokerz said:
:mad long story short.. got pulled over by highway patrol. and got ticket for "exhuast modifications".... i have 98 base lude w/apexi n1 exhuast.. is there any way i can challenge this and not pay the fine? on the ticket.. where it says, fixable or something, the cop checked no... so can i not challenge it, (put silencer on, or stock exhuast)? my friend, told me apex n1 isn't carb leagal... is that true? one more thing, actually 2.. how much would fine be, and will this raise insurance..? blahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Alright so first of all it should tell you the fine amount on the ticket.. you have to send them a check right? so look around-it has to be on there. Second, you can challenge any ticket you want-even parking tickets. so if you feel like you shouldn't have to pay this fine, contest it and show them that you put on a stock exhaust OR look up the laws in your state for exhaust modification-maybe you can get away with what you have. Thirdly, your insurance will not go up because its not considered a "moving violation" or a collision or anything that shows you are a bad driver. (bad drivier=high insurance) you should not get any points on your license.

if you want to know if it's carb legal call the company and if it IS then have them send you a cirtificate that states that it's legal.

hope i helped.

·
Registered
375 Posts
OK I had the EXACT same thing happened to me, and I also have the APEX N1 exhaust...my ticket was for "inadequate muffler.

Fortunately there are no points involved, so dont worry about your insurance.

Unfortunately, in NY atleast, it is a $150 fine, plus a $55 surcharge. I was able to reduce it to a total fine of $30. Here is what I did:

Plead not guilty. When u talk to the prosecutor, explain to him that upon purchasing your exhaust, you were told it was 50 state legal. Than say that on top of that, you bolted on a silencer which reduces the decimal level. If you tell the court that you have added a silencer or in someway changed your setup u should be homefree. I was atleast. You can rep me later, lol...hope this helps--mike

·
Registered
870 Posts
go to court and tell the judge the cop is an asshole. call apexi and find out about the carb if it is not put the stock back on and say you don;t know what the cop is talking about. iam sure the cop didn't take pictures of it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
exhaust has nothing to do w/ CARB, only the dB, N1 is a pretty loud exhaust, my 4th gen barely passed 93.5dB w/ a silencer

it's kind of suck in your case because the cop didn't give you the "fix it" option, some judges might not even consider giving you the option to take the sound test

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone... well on the ticket it didn't say a price.. trust me, i looked.. the cop said to call some number, and they would tell me how much it is n how to pay... i think i'll give apex a call.. i think i'll pleed not guilty and put silencer on, or just stock exhuast.. we'll c..

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
dude if u have the n1 like i used to, you might as well put a sign on ur car that says, "give me a defective exhuast ticket" I got pulled over 3 times for my n1, only ticketed once though. If you dont want anymore trouble with the cops, take that shit off and get the world sport or something.

·
Registered
247 Posts
it doesnt say a price because you may have to go down to the court for them to indict you . Do what i did and i live in nyc aswell go to someone who you know who can hook you up with a modified note stating from their shop that youve fixed your exhaust and bring it to the courtroom as proof and your off the hook

·
Registered
148 Posts
what state do you live in? my friend got a modified exhaust ticket too. and he just paid it off. but afterwards another friend of mine looked up the laws and like the other guy said exhausts don't depend on if it's carb legal, it depends on how loud it is. But unless the cop checked the decibal reading of the exhaust before he pulled you over, there's no real way to tell how loud it is and if it's over the legal limit. Depending on your mods you may still be legal because last I checked the max level for so cal was pretty damn high and even greddy evo's passed with flying colors. And every cop in so cal is a bitch about loud exhausts, they pull over the civic ricers for their coffee can mufflers all the time because they sound like fart cannons. Anyways so check and see how loud the n1 is on your car and if it's low enough fight it and waste the court's time since they wasted yours. :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
ive got n-1 on my 5th gen and its way too loud.

Does anyone want to sell their silencer or better yet donate it to the "my girlfriend says my exhaust is to loud" charity :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I noticed that most states will give you a ticket only because what you have is not OEM for the car. So in some cases it has nothing to do with how loud it is. For a while people in my area were getting pulled over for clear turn signals, bright blue headlights and park lights. I my self got pulled over for having fog lights and clear park lights in the rear of my lude. They did'nt fine me since they realy could'nt tell if it came with it or not. But the cops excuse was if the car didn't come with it, it's ilegal. :rolleyes

Take notice that most of the after market stuff we buy(for looks or performance) will say "FOR RACING OR OFFROAD USE ONLY!" right on the package.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I live in canada and where i live they dont have the stupid law of havin a custom exhaust but if it is a ricer fart cannon cops here go ape shhit its hirlaruious

·
Registered
665 Posts
over the summer i got a ticket at 2am for disturbing the peace because the blow off valve on my STi sounds like a shotgun. basically, i spooled turbo at like 8 grand and all u herd was whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh out of a stage 3 turbo upgrade. $120 fine. challenged. brought down to a parking ticket, no points. $25 end cost out of my pocket.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i live in calli.. i called this number on the ticket, but it said not noticing my ticket number or wutever.. so i'll just check it n a couple days.. i hope the ticket isn't much.. im a poor high school senior......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts