Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I'm accelerating, rather quickly from about 6-7k rpms, theres a ticking sound coming from the turbo. I also noticed that my boost guage sometimes reads 10 psi when it's spooling. Somehow I dunno if it sounds right, but could it be the wastegate activating since theres too much boost? I heard that 6-7 psi is the safe amount a stock motor can handle but like I mentioned, the boost guage reads 9-10 sometimes, by then which I let off the throttle. BTW I hear those sounds even if I'm giving maybe 50-70% throttle. Any ideas? Also, is it safe to give full throttle? I've heard somewhere that giving full throttle too quickly will somehow blow a turbo. Just curious thanks.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
are you sure its a ticking? is it internall gated or external? what psi setting? when wastegates open up they kinda sound like an exhaust leak or depending what you are driving next to (ie Baracade) could sound like ticking if the WG is opened.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
res09ggm said:
I've noticed that when I'm accelerating, rather quickly from about 6-7k rpms, theres a ticking sound coming from the turbo. I also noticed that my boost guage sometimes reads 10 psi when it's spooling. Somehow I dunno if it sounds right, but could it be the wastegate activating since theres too much boost? I heard that 6-7 psi is the safe amount a stock motor can handle but like I mentioned, the boost guage reads 9-10 sometimes, by then which I let off the throttle. BTW I hear those sounds even if I'm giving maybe 50-70% throttle. Any ideas? Also, is it safe to give full throttle? I've heard somewhere that giving full throttle too quickly will somehow blow a turbo. Just curious thanks.

Sounds to me like pinging or detonation.......that may not be ur turbo, it may be ur engine. What are u using for engine and fuel management? Used to happen to me when i used the Safc DSM setup.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
95accordlx said:
Sounds to me like pinging or detonation

i'm also gonna say that sounds like detonation.
it also seems that you have some boost creep. you should check your boost controller connections (if you have one). then check the wastegate actuator to make sure it opens all the way.
if all that checks ok you might have to take out the exhaust housing out and port out the wastegate hole and install a 34mm flapper, or worst case scenario you might have to go with an external wastegate.
in the mean time drive the car easy and dont boost at ALL untill you have figured out the problem or you take it somewhere to have it tuned.
i would also suggest you get an EGT gauge and a wideband.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
check the plugs, if its detonating, most cases you can see flakes or specs on the plugs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using the Greddy fuel management system. It comes with the Greddy bolt on turbo kits. I wouldn't know for sure if it was pinging or detonation, I can't say that I've ever heard it. The sound is pretty soft, but metallic, almost as if something were stuck on a turbine and was being tossed around. It's also an external wastegate.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I say, maybe you should learn a little about your engine and turbo's. It sounds like you know Very little about both. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
b16ahybrid said:
I say, maybe you should learn a little about your engine and turbo's. It sounds like you know Very little about both. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.
Obviously I'm here asking questions to learn and I'm trying to prevent a disaster from happening by asking questions so please don't flame. Everybody starts somewhere.

As far as detonation and pinging is concerned aren't they supposed to be loud and very audible? I read somewhere its kinda like 4 ball bearings in a can being shaken.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just installed the greddy kit on my car this week and had a sound exactly like you explained, and I am pretty sure it was pinging.
I swapped out my plugs for colder ones and put higher octane premium gas in, (my car still had the regular 87 octane gas from when it was stock).
This got rid of the detination in my case.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
res09ggm said:
I already have colder plugs, and I'm running on premium 91 octane. Any other reasons why i might be pinging?
Ignition timing.......i doubt the greddy ems handles that so u might want to retard it from the distributer, youll lose some power but at least u wont be pinging anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm also throwing a cel, 71 72 73 which means im random misfiring in 1 2 3rd cylinders. What's causing the misfire, and the pinging? Or was it the misfire that i thought was pinging. I just checked my spark plugs, they seem to be fine but I gapped them at .32 according to a guy on a hondata forum.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
res09ggm said:
Obviously I'm here asking questions to learn and I'm trying to prevent a disaster from happening by asking questions so please don't flame. Everybody starts somewhere.

As far as detonation and pinging is concerned aren't they supposed to be loud and very audible? I read somewhere its kinda like 4 ball bearings in a can being shaken.
I'm not flaming i'm giving you advice.
Detonation is not going to be loude, in most cases if you have a loud enough exhaust your not going to hear it, or if you do it's very faint.
It does sound like bb's being shaken in an aluminum can, or metalic poping sound.
One bit of advice, when it comes to turbo's it's best to ask question first and shoot later. It will generally save you a lot of cash. In other words learn about what your doing before you do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.