Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin' to swap out an engine.... Does anybody know the 1/4 mile times for an h22 or b16/b18 frankenstein motor in a '00 civic hatch?
Would I be better off building the d16 I already have, and using JSRC/Turbo/Nos???

Anybody with swap/blown knowledge, please help!

· Registered
1,170 Posts
please dont get a h22...just get a b16. Good place to start. If you're not happy w/ that, go ahead n' CRVTEC it in the future

· Registered
535 Posts
If you get an H22, and you can put the power to the ground, you'll be in the high 13s easily. To me if you really wanna go fast, get an H22. Unless you plan on going FI later (with a B16 or B18) otherwise to me it just isn't worth it. If I'm gonna spend that much money for a new engine, I better be going a lot faster. A B16 will have me in the very high 14s or low 15s. And that ain't worth 3K. Not to me anyways

· Registered
1,017 Posts
You can get 200 horses for 2300 dollars. Or you can get 170-180 horses for 3200 dollars.

I would go with the H22. You will be tearing up the streets.

· Registered
806 Posts
i don't remember who it was, but someone in teh civic forum a while back before the reset swapped a H22 in a CIvic coupe i think. he said he lost a lot of drivability with it. he sold it and got a 300gt, i remember.

i'd say go with the B18b. its cheap and has a lot of potential. you can go turbo or ls/vtec later on.

· Registered
535 Posts
Not to mention how much more torque the H22 has than any B series engine. Also if someone did the swap and lost a lot of driveability, I'd say either they did the swap wrong, or they just didn't know how to drive it (traction problems) The H22 only weighs 85 lbs. more than a b-series engine. That isn't much. But since it sits the other way, you will have some plow (understeer) My guess is that guy didn't go and do his suspension right. I know of two people who have done the swap and say their car handles better now, than when it was powered by a D15B7 and a D16 respectively. A B18b isn't a bad idea if you can find one for cheap (which is getting harder since people are starting to swap this engine more) But I know of several B18B Turbos that are only in the 14s. Sure a lot are going faster than that, but you can't just throw a turbo on and expect to go fast.

· Registered
73 Posts
what kinda money are you making? i think the h22 is the shiet hands down... but very expensive and timely.. and alot more complicated.... the b series is cheaper and i think slower...
yup this is what i think u should do

· Registered
1,170 Posts
i've said it before, and i'll say it again....CRVTEC. You can easily push 230 whp on that motor, and make 160+ wlbft of torque in NA form. Turbo....lets not speak of that

· Registered
535 Posts
Yeah the H22 (or H23) is gonna cost more money than a B series engine for sure. Mount kit, suspension upgrades (which actually you should do anyways) and of course the slightly more difficult than bolt in installation, it'll be a pretty penny. But oh so much faster than a B series. As for the CR-VTEC or LS/VTEC, I'm just not sold on them as far as reliabilty as a daily driver. I'm sure somebody knows somebody with one who has had it perform great forever, but I've heard lots of people who aren't so lucky blast the CR, LS/VTEC set up. my .02

· Registered
117 Posts
Hybrid Fever said:
No don't do h22, cuz then your car wont handle worth shit. it will be only straight line...and that's it.
If you have no idea what you are talking about, don't open your mouth.

I have a H22 Type-S '97 Civic EX. I added Koni Adjustables, bigger sway bars on both ends, and suspension techniques 1.75" lowering springs. It handles better now then it did before.

Bottom line:

[email protected] Full interior/street tires
[email protected] with the 100 shot of n2o with drag radials

Cost was $7000.

You are going to tear up axels. Who cares.

It will smack the rev-limiter in 5th (8200rpm's) witch means 164 mph.

I can kick your ass without even having to down-shift. Trust me you have no chance.

If you can get a good shop to do the install, get the h22. Anhything you do to a b series you can do to the h22 with bigger and better results.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
jacobyb said:

If you have no idea what you are talking about, don't open your mouth.

I have a H22 Type-S '97 Civic EX. I added Koni Adjustables, bigger sway bars on both ends, and suspension techniques 1.75" lowering springs. It handles better now then it did before.

Bottom line:

[email protected] Full interior/street tires
[email protected] with the 100 shot of n2o with drag radials

Cost was $7000.

You are going to tear up axels. Who cares.

It will smack the rev-limiter in 5th (8200rpm's) witch means 164 mph.

I can kick your ass without even having to down-shift. Trust me you have no chance.

If you can get a good shop to do the install, get the h22. Anhything you do to a b series you can do to the h22 with bigger and better results.
Thank you so much for the post. I am damn tired of people running their mouth when they don't know what they are talking about. They assume a lot. And most the time they are wrong.

· Registered
535 Posts
Word, Jacobyb, you beat me to it. People running their mouthes off is annoying :mad: Anyways, maybe it's for the best, if everyone starts swapping H22s like B18's, the price will go up just like the B18c's has. So uh, yeah, it handles like crap everyone. Don't do it :D :D :D BTW Jacobyb, where did you get your H22 from? You have the Type S right? Pass emisions? Sorry bout the q's getting ready to swap an H22 in the sol, and live with fucked credit for awhile

· Registered
117 Posts
AnthonyA182 said:
Word, Jacobyb, you beat me to it. People running their mouthes off is annoying :mad: Anyways, maybe it's for the best, if everyone starts swapping H22s like B18's, the price will go up just like the B18c's has. So uh, yeah, it handles like crap everyone. Don't do it :D :D :D BTW Jacobyb, where did you get your H22 from? You have the Type S right? Pass emisions? Sorry bout the q's getting ready to swap an H22 in the sol, and live with fucked credit for awhile
I m using a GSR ECU and it passed emmissions. I got my H22 from a shop here called Fastrax. It is just an extra 25hp. And a higher redline. It pulls in every fucking gear.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
i'm sorry...but anything you can do to a b series...you can't necessarily do to a h. When people say that Honda's are too easy to fix up...they are pretty much talking about the b series motor (VTECs in particular). W/out a doubt, to me @ least, this is the most easily fixed up import engine in america. H22 is a different story. The closet thing i can even think of is the old air cooled VW engines.

· Registered
535 Posts
Dude, Hondas are not meant to go fast. Well the NSX and S2000 I suppose but nothing else. "Hondas respond well to mods" Not really. I big V8 or a factory Turbo-charged engine responds MUCH better to mods than almost any Honda. I love hondas, my sol, and everything else, but come on. Swap in a B16 into a Civic and wow, you have low 15s, MAYBE high, high 14s. And thats 3K. Take 3K and throw it at an F-body or a Factory turbocharged car, and I guarantee it'll do better than 15s. Sorry man, but the B-series is great, but If I'm spending thousands of dollars on an engine swap, I better be fast as shit. H22 is the best (and most reliable IMHO) way to get there (don't need FI, or a gutted interior to hit 13s)

· Registered
535 Posts
ooairewreckoo said:
nooo dont let the prices of h22 go up... man i was getting used to seeing the h22's for under 2 g's.... well in about a another year ill have enough for my h22 :(
For real man that would suck. I'm getting tired of waiting and I'm fixing to just charge the whole thing man :D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.