Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 honda civic dx with 83,000 and i know im going to have to get the timing belt replaced soon but i was priced at 695.00 for that i can by a JDM d16z6 enigne with 35,000 on it, should i just do that?

·
Registered
842 Posts
$695 isn't really uncommon coming from a Honda dealer. You could potentially save yourself some money by going to a smaller shop where the mechanics are probably getting paid half of what the Honda guys are. It might bring your replacement cost down quite a bit.

Plus, was that just the timing belt replacement? Because I believe that the typical preventative maintenace schedule says to replace the water pump and timing belt at the same time.

Here's what I would do. If you don't plan to keep the car very long, (like 2 years or so) just don't replace the belt. They will usually last longer than what the book says. Or, if you do plan to keep the car and just want to keep it as is, just do the maintenance. It'll save you some major headache later. Finally, if you've been wanting to do a swap, shop around and see what you really want to swap in. Research all associated costs, find yourself a handy worker to help you, and go that route.

Or I guess you could just ignore the maintenance schedule and just run on hopes and dreams. That's not uncommon either....haha!

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I'm not sure that I follow... yes, that is expensive to repair. The dealer charged me $480 to do the timing belt, accessory belts, and water pump. Another dealer wanted about $650. They gotta pay the rent/mortgage...

However if you are paying to have the timing belt done, then I imagine that you would also pay to have the motor put in, so I'm not completely following why putting in a used motor that would also need its timing belt changed would be an option over changing the timing belt on the motor that you already have.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want a new motor, then best to do it before you drop big money on repairing what you have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Later this year, my plan was to get do either the mini-me swap or I was going to do a JDM d16Z6 Swap. I'm sitting at 82,000 miles right now and this is what I need to replace at 90,000. Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
912 Posts
BSeriesFan said:
Later this year, my plan was to get do either the mini-me swap or I was going to do a JDM d16Z6 Swap. I'm sitting at 82,000 miles right now and this is what I need to replace at 90,000. Not sure what to do.
uhhh jdm z6 swap? dont know about that. to my knowledge that motor doesnt exist. there might be a jdm motor equivalent of the z6 that we have in the u.s., but i dont recall there being a jdm z6.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what should I do just save for the other engine now and not do the timing belt or what, since im going to do that swap anyways? How far over 90,000 miles can you go before the timing belt will cause a problem?

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
wait for your new engine, and then goto an auto store, buy a timing belt and pump, and put them on the new engine. It will be sitting on a pallet, so its easy to do.

·
Registered
146 Posts
lol why would u spend $700 on a 125hp motor :bash

we got a del sol w/ d16z6 and tranny for $200 :number1

course that will need a timing belt and head gasket at least

·
Registered
146 Posts
its not an exact number like oh at 131,432.8 miles your timing belt will snap, but eventually it will most likely happen eventually

·
Registered
638 Posts
Near me?

I'll do it for 150 bucks you buy parts..lol. I'm certified. Done in less than two hours.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i dont have the tools to do any engine work at all or the time to do it because im a full time worker,full time student and husband and father. If it goes into a shop to be done i can rent a car and have it done right(engine swap) and have it tuned for me

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
BSeriesFan said:
how far after 90,000 can you before there is a problem?
its all a guess. take off your valvecover, and the top timing belt cover and have a look at the belt. If it looks good, then great. If it looks frayed or worn out, then you are on borrowed time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts