Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing belt broke last week on my Acura Integra LS while I was driving down the high way. I had 73000 miles on it, but it is a 1994 model.

I took the risk of paying the $700 bucks to replace the timing belt and the engine not even starting, but it did....

But now it runs with a real rough idle and trys to stall out kinda, but never does...

the damage can't be that bad if the engine started up and is running right? I'm kinda stuck right now, the car is still in good condition, but the shop says it would run $1,000 and up to get the valves fixed........

any cheaper way I can get this fixed, or should I just sell it and take a loss???

Help anyone... Thanks

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
sounds like you bent a vlave or two.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
KingOr said:
My timing belt broke last week on my Acura Integra LS while I was driving down the high way. I had 73000 miles on it, but it is a 1994 model.

I took the risk of paying the $700 bucks to replace the timing belt and the engine not even starting, but it did....

But now it runs with a real rough idle and trys to stall out kinda, but never does...

the damage can't be that bad if the engine started up and is running right? I'm kinda stuck right now, the car is still in good condition, but the shop says it would run $1,000 and up to get the valves fixed........

any cheaper way I can get this fixed, or should I just sell it and take a loss???

Help anyone... Thanks
u can get a LS head pretty cheap. have u considered doing the work urself. just get a new top end gasket set and have the new head resurfaced and do the work urself run u maybe....300 or so

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
yep, bent valves, happened to me in my old beater accord, it drove it like that for a couple months, but then it just died and we donated it for a cool 2100 bucks for a car we had paid 975 only six months before.... :cool

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Maybe its not the valves maybe its just not timed properly look in to that b4 you dump all that money into more parts and work. I picked up a sweet set of supertech/skunk2 valves for 270 shipped overnight. there close to stock spec except there flat seat so compression might go up a tad bit nothing major. If you had bent valves that motor would make all sorts of noises and stuff .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it does make noises, not real loud, just like a clicking type noise....

it gets bad @ idle, feels like its going to stall out but never does....

I am not sure what I'm going to do, if I can find someone that can fix it for me cheap under $500 I'll do it, I might just end up selling the car as is...

:(

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The problem is not that serious you can get it fixed if you want to and still keep the car. You can get after market valves for like 250 and if you have somebody that can do the work for you maybe 300 or less. Go to a machine shop and ask them how much to replace valves or a mechanic at a regular shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts