Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Banned
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesturday my timing belt went (that's what I am assuming, the engine will turn over but no compression)
is my head gone? or can I slap a new belt on there and go.. I sure hope it's the later

· Registered
21 Posts
I broke the timing belt on my original motor before. I wasn't even gunning it, I was really light on the throttle in 1st gear after a stoplight, then the car died. I tried starting it a couple of times after that.

Fortunately, no head damage since I wasn't hard on the throttle when the belt snapped. Just had the timing belt replaced and it started right up after that.

· Banned
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just coasting to a stop at a light when it died.. no throttle at all.
I just took a look and the timing belt is still there.. maybe it just jumped a couple of teeth? it's kinda old..

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Even if it did jump some teeth you dont necessarily need a new head. Alot of time people come into honda ( I work there ) with the same problem and somehow the head is fine they just need the new belt. Just the right time I guess, but at the same time sometimes people do need to have theiur head checked which runs about 200 plus parts here.

· Registered
2,236 Posts
91Integracer said:
my belt blew and I needed new valves, rods, pistons, and the head machined...
You must have royally F*ed that to need new rods and pistons. I dont see how you could have needed rods at all. Pistons I can only mildly understand, were you running boost or what?

· Registered
184 Posts
If your belt is still there it might not be your timeing belt at all. What where the symptoms when it died?. Your distribuitor could have went. The bearing could have locked up then the belt might have slipped a tooth or two mine did once. Or you ignitor might have died very common on hondas. See if your getting spark. take the #1 plug out and the spark plug insert the plug into the wire and prop it up so it is not touching anything. Then try to turn it over and see if you got a spark. The way your car died sounds like the way mind did when the Dist went. Good luck

· Banned
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I was suspecting that it might be the distruputer thingy.. fucking sucks.. cause I can look and see that everything is turning over just fine.. I guess I'll check for spark and then whatever, there's 160$

it was a very unlucky day for me. There is an APB out for my car and I was pulled over 3 times on the way home (it's usually once or twice, never three times)

· Banned
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well.. I didn't see a spark.
the only thing that makes me wonder that it's not the distributor is that the engine doesn't turn over fast, it kinda lugs a little or something?

· Banned
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK! here is what I found!

the reason for no spark is that the disributor is cam driven (duh) wen well.. I did was Steel said and pulled the cap off and found that the cam was not turning and found the cam gear to be at fault
the cam gear broke!! the little woodruff key snapped and got stuck in there so taht was the only thing keepin' the gear on. I got a spare gear and it should be running soon

thanks for the help guys

· Registered
321 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but just because that happened doesn't still mean that you wouldn't need a new head, same effect as the timing belt breaking. Hope for the best though, but just to be sure, after you get it fixed, run a compression test.

· Banned
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey you know, you're right! the head got fucked up
by the way.. this is my DX.. so the Si head is going to lower compression so guess what!? you know my sponsored EW4 project? well we are pushing for a new deadline - now

yay! (not)

does anyone know if aeroquip makes banjo bolts as a part of their custom AN hose line kits?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.