Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need to replace my timing belt and I wanted to know what you guys think about timing belt kits that are for sale on Ebay?
On Ebay I can get a kit that has the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump for like $60.

eBay Motors: 92+ Honda Civic DelSol 1.6 D16Z6 Timing Belt Water Pump (item 260336989542 end time Apr-22-09 18:39:31 PDT)

Are these kits reliable? Should I stick with Honda OEM parts when it comes to the timing belt?

I am doing this replacement while I have the valve cover off due to the spark plug mishap I had. So, I want to do this quickly but I don't want to risk damaging the engine in the future. So, what do you guys think?

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One other thing....is there any point behind buying either the Gates or Greddy "racing" timing belts? They run $70 or $125 respectively. That is just for the timing belt though. So, does it make sense to spend more money on a belt or a kit? Or is inexpensive the way to go?

BUMP

· Registered
2,231 Posts
for the price, get that ebay kit, when you turbo, replace it with an ebay one again, since you will probably need to do so like 20k miles later anyway. Not worried about the del sol, I sold it to my cousin, he got it stollen, I was already paid off. :D

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and purchased a Gates' water pump, timing belt, and tensioner kit part number TCKWP224A. They were priced in the $140 range but I found one...the last one....through Rockauto for only $62. So, that was cool.

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh! I also got a killer deal on some Accel spark plug wires to replace my broken set. Believe it or not Amazon had them for $26. They are yellow...not my first choice...but hey they retail for $89 and I paid $26. :)
These are the ones that I got!
ACCEL 7911Y Yellow 300+ Thundersport Ferro-Spiral Spark Plug Wire Set

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I hope they work out for ya, cuz OEM or NGK plugs and wires are usually the best, though I know nothing of the ACCEL stuff.

I roll with ebay timing stuff, never had an issue. Most mileage I ever put on one was 102k miles, tensioner still spun good, belt looked good. The waterpump had a lil play in it though. Just stick to honda's guidelines for maintainence and you shouldnt have any issues

· Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually opt for Honda OEM parts but in this case the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and spark plug wires were so significantly cheaper that I had to buy them.

I am not too familiar with Accel plug wires in particular but they possess all of the qualities of the stock wires and were only $26. So, I'll give them a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.