Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first honda i totaled my 97 eclipse turbo sleeping and driving after work. i got a 92 civic hb VX 188,000 my timing belt came off i dont know if these motors are interfernce or noninterference. I already found out how much the tb is and where to get it. i was told it was noninterfernce but i think the guy dosent know shit about cars double checking. i was going down hill cruiseing 80mph and when i started to loose speed i hit the gas and noticed the car had died. It was the timing belt what do u guys think about the vavles and motors possible condition? thanks for the help (want to do swap soon but tien coilovers and rota slipstreams left me broke)

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
RedvxHb said:
this is my first honda i totaled my 97 eclipse turbo sleeping and driving after work. i got a 92 civic hb VX 188,000 my timing belt came off i dont know if these motors are interfernce or noninterference. I already found out how much the tb is and where to get it. i was told it was noninterfernce but i think the guy dosent know shit about cars double checking. i was going down hill cruiseing 80mph and when i started to loose speed i hit the gas and noticed the car had died. It was the timing belt what do u guys think about the vavles and motors possible condition? thanks for the help (want to do swap soon but tien coilovers and rota slipstreams left me broke)
ur engines probraly gone because hondas are interference motors.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
hobie237 said:
yeah man... i heard of a couple motors surviving this, but chances are the motor is done... probly better off dropping a new one in than fixing it... good chance to upgrade...
yup i agree.

·
Registered
693 Posts
your engine could be fine, my buddy's timing belt snapped in his gsr engine. he pulled the head off to check the valves and put a new belt on it and it runs great.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
stjohnscrx said:
your engine could be fine, my buddy's timing belt snapped in his gsr engine. he pulled the head off to check the valves and put a new belt on it and it runs great.
unless hes doing the work himself. paying someone to do that u might as well get a newer lower milage engine. but yea sometimes you do get lucky and they dont bend nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im actually not to bad with motors. I can do alot of hav e a really good understanding of motors ive just never done this with a honda. i am doing the work my self. but instead of pulling the head( pain in the ass) i am going to do a leakdown test and see where air is leaking into its a really acurate way to check for bent valves and saves alot of time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts