Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 94 acura vigor and i bought it from someone with the timing belt snapped. i am having a mechanic that i know replace the timing belt this week. now if there are bent valves which there most likely is, how hard of a job is fixing and replacing the valves? is it just take old one off and new one on or is it much more than that.please help

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have never done the work myself but i have been told that it is hard and expensive. i broke the timming belt in my old crx and like an idiot keep on trying to crank the car(did know the consequences at the time) and bent all the valves in the motor, i took it in and they said the repairs would cost more than getting another crx. i ended up just getting a jdm engine for like 500 bucks online instead of trying to fix it. but hes right you shouldnt have bought that car without having those valves checked first but then again you might get lucky and there will be no damage. like 3 months after i bought my integra the timing broke on the highway but this time i cranked it only once and recognized the problem right away so i did not mess them up. good luck men but you might be looking for a new motor.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
The Vigor is an embarrasment to honda to begin with.

From there, you could have piston damage on top of valve damage. If you can sell it for what you paid... id unload it.
I'm with him... unless you have a hookup it *might* cost more to fix than the car's worth. Why did you buy it like that?!

Oh and this is the Integra forum btw....

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
IF the cylinder walls/pistons were not damaged, getting a new head might be cheaper... probably fairly inexpensive to find one on the used market.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mistake... i misunderstood. I talked to the guy i am buying the car from. i am putting a payment today so i called him and he told me that the belt didnt break. what happened was the car stalled on the off ramp of the highway. he got it started at the bottom of the ramp and drove to a park and ride that was a few feet down the road. when he shut the car off to wait for his mechanic the car didnt start after that. he said it sounded like it wanted to but just didn't. he said that he thought it was the timing belt but wasnt sure if it was just the timing that went off bad or something else. any ideas.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
h91accordlx said:
mistake... i misunderstood. I talked to the guy i am buying the car from. i am putting a payment today so i called him and he told me that the belt didnt break. what happened was the car stalled on the off ramp of the highway. he got it started at the bottom of the ramp and drove to a park and ride that was a few feet down the road. when he shut the car off to wait for his mechanic the car didnt start after that. he said it sounded like it wanted to but just didn't. he said that he thought it was the timing belt but wasnt sure if it was just the timing that went off bad or something else. any ideas.
i'm pretty sure you can find a better deal...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.