Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get belt replacement prices at different dealers and got different answers..

1. 680.00 - Timing Belt, Accessory Belt + Water Pump - @ 60K
2. 650.00 - Same @ 90K

The second place told me that I dont need a timing belt till 90K ? is she crazy ?

anyway should I goto a mom and pop shop ? also should I even let the dealers replace the water pump ?

· Registered
186 Posts
What's ur mileage?

Honda's don't need new timing belts for quite awhile. 90k sounds about right.

Have you checked ur owners manual? Sounds like a dealer is trying to take you for a ride. THe timing belt/water pump scam is old as hell.

Dizzy

· Registered
376 Posts
This has nothin to do with the price but for some reason, my belts are starting to get hella squeaky. It's not so bad on warmer days, sometimes not even exsitent. but on colder days that bish is loud as a mofo. I'm just wondering, I thought I wouldn't need any belts replaced for a while, like around 100k, but I've barely hit 47k on the odo and it's really starting to bug me, any ideas?:confused:

· Registered
372 Posts
I'm a Lexus technician and I know some people do believe that the timing belt, water pump combo is a scam but it's really not. We try to sell the water pump, and pulleys with the timing belt because they're all there together usually when putting the timing belt on. I know from personal experience that some times when you put a new belt on an old water pump it sometimes rapidly accelerates wear on the water pump. So as preventive maintenance we try to do it all at one time to possibly keep you from breaking down later on with a bad water pump. Then if it does happen you're mad cause you have to pay the same labor to do something you could have done before. As for when you should replace it ... I'd think 90,000 miles is fine.

OH as for the squeak belt. Usually what I do if I have an accessory belt that looks fine but raises hell. I'll put some RTV on the ribbed part of the belt. Just enough to cover your finger tip. This usually solves the problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.