Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of going without a tire pressure gauge I finally decided to buy one last night. I used it as soon as I got home on my cold tires (car been sitting in the garage since sunday) and to my amazement my tires are shy of about 2-3psi or air.

My question is, when i drive my car to the gas station to put some air in the tires, should I first take the pressure of the tires and then fill them by 2-3 psi more than what the gauge is reading? or should i just fill the tires until they are at 30 psi, which is what Honda recommends, not knowing if the pressure has increased or decreased as I drove.

·
Registered
968 Posts
when you get to the gas station retake the tire pressure. then fill it up accordingly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
under normal driving conditions, 2-3 psi isnt going to make that much of a difference. tire pressure fluctuates slightly based on the tire temp. so they're never at a constant pressure.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
tire pressure changes when you drive, tire heats up, expands and yea...

i check the tire when its cold...usually i inflate to 32 psi...if its raining i put it at 30...i dont know why but i always been like that...heheheh

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
yes, take the tire pressure when the rubber is cold, then fill to optimal for whatever driving you're doing. If they're too low, they'll wear out on the sides, too high, and it will wear out the middle of the tire. If you have any kind of water-channelling tire, you don't want to over fill them, because if you wear out the center of the tire, the water will never get channelled away. Optimal pressure for most passenger vehicles' tires, wet or dry, highway or street is 32lbs. For the autocrossers, bump it up to 44 or so (on tires that allow it) to stiffen the sidewalls and prevent tire roll. In the snow (or sand for anyone with a truck) decrease the tire pressure by about 4 lbs or so to create a larger footprint. This will help spread weight and create more area to grip.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

I filled up the tires with the specified amount of pressure according to the service manual. they are all at 30psi. Lets see how they handle.

On a side note...do the front tires always look like they are not properly inflated compared to the rear ones?? I only ask because they all have the same amount of pressure, but the front ones always look like they are missing air. I was just thinking that it due to the larger amount of weight in the front of the car...but anyone can correct me if i am wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts