13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yokohoma AVS ES-100 Tire Review
Treadware: 280
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
Size Tested: ZR 215/40/17

Click here for Large Version

Test Vehicle: 1993 Honda Prelude VTEC with Koni Adjustables (yellows) and RSR Linear Down Springs. 1.5inch drop.

These tires are much better than my Nitto 555 Extremes , From rain traction , to dry traction and launches. Input is great. From what I hear the nittos are pretty stiff and the response seems about the same. The ride is also much better.

The tire sports a rim guard , nice sidewall design & agressive tread design.

Heres some info from tirerack.com:

http://tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/uhp.jsp - Ultra High Performance Tire category.

Also heres some stats from tire-rack of a test on an is300 with the following tires: Yokohoma AVS ES-100 , Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 & Sumitomo HTRZ II

Lap time in the wet:
Yokohoma: 34.01
Kumho: 34.71
Sumitomo: 34.97

Lap time in the dry:
Yokohoma: 31.64
Kumho: 32.11
Sumitomo: 32.05

-

Average cornering / G-Force:

Wet g-force:
Yokohoma: .80
Kumho: .77
Sumitomo: .75

Dry G-force:
Yokohoma: .93
Kumho: .91
Sumitomo: .90

For the rest of the tire review & comparison of the: Yokohoma AVS ES-100 , Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 & Sumitomo HTRZ II - Go here: http://tirerack.com/tires/tests/testResultsModel.jsp?tireModel=AVS+ES100&tireMake=Yokohama

For test numbers on these tires click here...this has some good data on these three tires: http://tirerack.com/tires/tests/uhp_give_you_more_charts.html

Will post an update once I get to review these more and overtime what I thought.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I've been using these in 195/55-15 for about 9-1/2 months. I've been extremely happy with them. Low road noise, Excellent wet traction. Looks like good treadwear. Good traction with aggressive driving, but still possible to break them loose and squeal like a pig. Got them from tirerack for $56 each.

All in all, I've been very happy with them. Excellent street performance tires.

Current suspension setup is h&r sports w/koni yellows, stock front sway, si rear sway, 35psi front air pressure, 32psi rear.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just got a set of 205/50r15's. These replaced the nitto 450's that I had. I would reccomend that anyone searching for a good tire NOT get the nitto 450's. Do Not, I repeat, Do Not get the 450's. No traction cornering, I launched at idle and still spun them.

The avs es100's, however, are superb. These EASILY outperformed everything about the nitto's. If you are looking for a tire that has good wear characteristics, great cornering stability, rim protection, moderately stiff sidewall, low noise, and is great looking; you found them. I will buy another set of these, or kumho mx's next time. These tires completely satisfy all my criteria in a great street tire, and I would definately buy them again. they are a bit heavier than the nitto's, but it's within 1-4 pounds.

These were put into the same class as the kumho supra 712's and they definately perform just as well, if not better. Also there's a new tire in this class that looks good, but is way overpriced ( I think it's a bf goodrich). The Kumho mx's are in the next higher class and I would like to try them sooner or later.

-josh-

·
Banned
1,677 Posts
I am running 205/45/16, 225/45/16 on my MR-S and these tires are awesome. They don't screach like the Kuhmo 712's and they are actually good in the wet as opposed to the Azenis. They are kick ass tires!

And they are beefy!

·
Registered
659 Posts
i have these in 205/45/16's and i love the way these tires handle... they are good in the rain and are very good when it is dry... i recommend this tire to any1 in the market for new tires

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have the 195 50r15's and they are great in the rain and on dry even with minimal contact ( i have neuspeed race springs and no camber correction on front - that is this weeks project). a warning though, i don't know if it's the tires, or the excessive negative camber, but be warned, on snow my car was absolutely uncontrollable, if i decellarated too quickly it would start sliding, but that could be just a camber thing. hopefully this winter i will have my samurai back on the road and won't have to drive the civic in the snow.

·
Registered
659 Posts
yea they do suck in the snow... i put my summer rims on a lil too early and got caught up in a couple snow storms... this tires should not be used in the winter if you have to deal with snow

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yup I have the 215/40/17s and love them. Im on my second set=they do wear a lil fast. I also experienced them in the snow, and like kommon_sense said, they are total suicide.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh man, these tires are so nice. I have them wrapping my enkei 17's. These things have excellent traction. They have saved me from several crashes. I can tell the difference greatly whenever i switch from stock. Very nice, planning to get them in the future.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ive had these tires for about 6 months now. Ive put a lot of mileage on them since i got them, about 10,000 miles. Performance is way better than my kumhos 712. The one thing that is annoying me right now, is the road noise. I can hear the tires over my exhaust. Right now the road noise is pretty bad. Treadwear and wet traction is good.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just got a set of these in 195/60/14 for X-mas to replace my bald Yokohama YK420s (same size). I have had previous experience with the stock Firestone crap also (185/65/14). The YK420s were a definite step up from the stock crap tires, but I could tell that my current suspension (Koni yellows, ITR springs, upgraded front sway bar bushings and endlinks) was overpowering my tires. I had gotten used to a little squealing around corners. I purchased those for the long life (60,000 mi tires, over 400 treadwear). The AVS ES100s were a huge step up from the YK420s. It is hard to break these loose with my current suspension (I turned the shock stiffness up a bit because my car seemed to float on the highway because the tires move the car very easily and my suspension just can't keep up) driving semi-aggressively (I'm not going to do anything stupid on the road). I haven't logged too many miles on them yet and no rain either. But they sure do handle great in the dry and are a very welcome addition to my car.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
i have them on my Supra. They work very well for me soo far. I have no complaints.

I never drove in snow or rain though wit this car, so I dunno how they are in those cond.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I have them on my integra... 205/50/16

In dry they grip really well. In the rain theyre decent... i get a little hydroplane and feel like theyll lock up on heavy breaking. In the snow, they absolutly SUCK.

Theyre great for what theyre meant for- summer.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I've got them on my sol. The car came with them mounted on some konig traffic 16x7s. I havent really driven the car much yet, But they do offer a very noticable handeling increase over the stockers. They pic up small rocks and fling them in the wheel wells like a mofo tho.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had them on my Audi A4 225-45-17 and they wore out fast and were way to loud for my liking. Maybe it was just the weight of the car that made them so loud? The tires did handle really well though :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts