Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not even sure how these tire size number work..well sort of..im trying to get a better understanding here..i wanna get really low profile tires for 19x8 rims..

what would be the lowest? and how do these sizes work? they come with 245/35 but aren't these big??

·
Registered
658 Posts
well, every rim width has a suitable range of tire widths that can be mounted on it if you follow tire mfr specifications. some don't care and put what they want while some use other widths to taylor the fit to the car. going with a general number, you use the stock rolling diameter to determine the actual tire size you need. usually for our cars, a 235/35/19 tire is almost identical to the stock rolling diameter. if they are used, then 245/35 might have been the right size for another car or the guy just wanted to go wide.

·
Registered
917 Posts
245/35R19:

245 = width (mm)
35 = height in ratio with width (35% of 245)
19 = diameter

Here is the calculation:

Overall diameter = diameter + 2*width*height ratio/(100*25.4)

You should get something that is as close to stock overall diameter as possible.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The size itself isn't really the problem in your case, 245/35/19 is pretty close to stock diameter...maybe a little bit bigger. But unfortunately, you will have some major rubbing problems with a tire that wide.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wen u say rub, do u mean rub on the wheel well? or rub against the fender? cuz my car is really low and i already took out the wheel wells..

·
Registered
658 Posts
d-esco said:
wen u say rub, do u mean rub on the wheel well? or rub against the fender? cuz my car is really low and i already took out the wheel wells..
kinda depends on offset with rim width, and then tire width as well. what offset is the wheel...this is the only missing value. but more than likely, if the offset is too low that it rubs along the outside with a normal width tire, the 245 tire will rub even more on the outside too. also 245 is almost 10" in width...if you removed the tire, and looked up into the wheel well, does the tire seem to fit in there?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the offset is 45...i havent even received the rims yet..they're coming in this week....lowenahrt ld1s...45 offset..with pirello pzeros..245-35-19

·
Registered
658 Posts
d-esco said:
the offset is 45...i havent even received the rims yet..they're coming in this week....lowenahrt ld1s...45 offset..with pirello pzeros..245-35-19
hate to say it, but you will rub because what clears the fenders is 19x8 with 50 offset and 235/35 tires. 19x8 with 45 offset and 235/35 tires rubs the bumper plastic a little so some trimming usually does the trick. considering you went with a 245 tire, it's gonna at least rub the bumper plastic for sure. forget a camber kit because it will only make matters worse. anyway, no one has really tried this combo so you'll never know till you try. best of luck and let us know how it goes.

i forget but do you have a sedan or coupe? year?

·
Registered
658 Posts
d-esco said:
i have a 00 v6 coupe..hey wat do u mean by trim?
"trim" as in cut and/or rolling. there isn't much you can do to the rims and tires, so if they rub along the outside and you wanna keep them, you need to create fender clearance by cutting/rolling whatever you have to.

i have a friend that had a 00 v6 coupe with 19x8/45 with 235/35 tires (japanese bridgestones) and he rubbed on eibach sportlines. did some trimming but it still rubbed somewhat. considering you went with a lower offset with wider tires, you will probably rub too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i have a 00 coupe and plan on gettin 18x8 rims next spring...i already have a H&R sport drop which is 1.75 F and 1.5 R...does it matter if i get 215/40 or 225/40? i dont want any rubbing so 215 might to the job compared to 225 rite?

·
Registered
658 Posts
JrZyHuStLa said:
i have a 00 coupe and plan on gettin 18x8 rims next spring...i already have a H&R sport drop which is 1.75 F and 1.5 R...does it matter if i get 215/40 or 225/40? i dont want any rubbing so 215 might to the job compared to 225 rite?
225/40 is very close to the stock rolling diameter and is a better fit on the 8" wide rim so go with that. plus the idea is to get wider rims to fit wider tires for a bigger contact point. as long as you get an offset close to 50, you'll be good (higher ok, but not too much lower). if you get 235/40, then make sure to get an offset higher than 50.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so you're saying the tires rubbed against the springs?? i have teh apex ws coilovers..

·
Registered
658 Posts
d-esco said:
so you're saying the tires rubbed against the springs?? i have teh apex ws coilovers..
i am *thinking* are you gonna rub the fender at least. are we clear about offsets? we are specifically talking about "positive" offset values...and the higher the value, the farther in the wheel will mount when it's on the car. taking my example of a 00 coupe with 19x8/45 with 235/35 tires that rubs, going with wider 245 tires will definitely rub the fender or bumper tab. not sure if it will rub the suspension.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ID10T said:
225/40 is very close to the stock rolling diameter and is a better fit on the 8" wide rim so go with that. plus the idea is to get wider rims to fit wider tires for a bigger contact point. as long as you get an offset close to 50, you'll be good (higher ok, but not too much lower). if you get 235/40, then make sure to get an offset higher than 50.
exactly wha offset should i go with? remember i have a h & r sport drop...thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
JrZyHuStLa said:
exactly wha offset should i go with? remember i have a h & r sport drop...thanks
shouldn't have any problems if you get 18x8 with at least a +50mm offset and 225/40/18 tires. haven't heard of a 18x8/50/235 setup so i am not sure if 235s will be rubfree or if you need to run a slightly higher offset.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts