Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. g damn it, I've searched and searched. Put it off, and searched some more. Well, I want to upgrade my exhaust and I have a 00 LS, but I do not want anything loud at all.

Apexi WS was okay, but to be honest I didn't really like the last exhaust I had by them on my AV6. There was just something about it that bugged me.

I was thinking of getting a IT-R exhaust retrofitted and upgrading the cat back piping, etc. But... I am concerned about the resonator. If I remove the resonator won't that make it LOUD??

Also... would the IT-R exhaust be louder than the apexi exhaust???

Really, what I am trying to find is an exhaust at Apexi WS sound level, or JUST a smidge above that level. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
ever thought about twin loop muffler??

so far i can thnk of:

mugen

hytech, but expensive

OBX-R

those three are 2.5" inlet ( i think).

the ebay "Netami" is 2.0" inlet

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at them, but aren't they low hanging to the ground?? That's the problem I had with my Apexi's in the past, tons of scrapes even without lowering the car.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
djcaseanova said:
I've looked at them, but aren't they low hanging to the ground?? That's the problem I had with my Apexi's in the past, tons of scrapes even without lowering the car.
yeah i have apexi ws2. it is a very common plm that they tend to hang lower. that why u gonna take it to the shop to have them to recut ur hanger and reweld to make ur exhaust sitting high. they should usually do it for free cuz i got them done for free.

the hanger is mostly the issue.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm.. i just heard some sound clips from the mugen and hytech twin loops... they sound nice, I just wonder about the resonator though.

If I by just a "muffler" (if sold universally), would it sound like shit without the resonator... lol

I am trying to find vendors who sell catbacks for my car with mugen/hytech.. know any?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
i would love to go with the hytech exhaust because they produce significant power, but they are really expensive... like $1000 hahaha.

if u know any exhaust shop that does the mandrel bent, then they should make the pipping with the reasonator and weld the muffler with it. it's an affordable way..

unfortunately, i dunno any exhaust shop that does it in kansas, so imma go with the kteller pipping from www.kteller.com or their authorized dealer (www.fox-stock.com

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Removing the resonater makes your car sound like a ricer. My friend removed his from his civic and it made it VERY high pitched and raspy.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
djcaseanova said:
hmm.. i just heard some sound clips from the mugen and hytech twin loops... they sound nice, I just wonder about the resonator though.

If I by just a "muffler" (if sold universally), would it sound like shit without the resonator... lol

I am trying to find vendors who sell catbacks for my car with mugen/hytech.. know any?
post a link to that sound bite, I want to hear it.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
My WS doesn't hang low... the tip is only like 1/2" from the bumper, and the bottom of the tip is nearly even with the bottom of the muffler. The resonator does hang kinda low but I've never more than grazed it and I'm lowered about 2". I wouldn't worry about it... you could also try a Greddy SP2.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
if you want quiet for fairly cheap you can go with a chambered muffler. Like the RSR or WS. what are you going to upgrade the itr cat back piping too? its already 2.25".

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I had gotten the ITR exhaust, it would stay at the 2.25" I did not really want to go higher than 2.25" as it's mainly for looks/sound/and mpg rather than ultra performance. but by upgrading to ITR minor rework is needed at a muffler shop to get it to fit (from what I've been told) so it'd be as it is.

I haven't necessarily ruled out apexi WS, if I can find a deal on it, but just can't see spending 400 on it

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay... I am starting to weed through certain designs.

Mugen - necks down to 2" at a couple spots, which isn't great for me... so this one is out.

Hytech is damn expensive for a catback, BUT.... the muffler alone is about $400 for the twin loop muffler. But then customizing would be a bitch because i'd have to upgrade resonators as well and bend all new pipe. Highly unlike choice at the moment.... but damn nice (drool)

Looking at the OBX-R it seems to do the same as well with bottle necking at the entry point. But, I have heard some good things about it and that it's fairly cheap in price for just the muffler....

JDMCARBOY does a twin loop, but haven't really heard any good/bad about it, though I head soundclips that were prettygood on HT...

But then.... of course now im looking at prices on Apexi's WS2 exhausts and people still swear by them, and for about the same price of teh Hytech muffler alone, I could get the full catback system...

SOOOOOO
What do you guys think?? What would you do??
Consider these items...
chambered - less performance (slightly) than twin loops
sound is about the same on all of them
looks will vary
prices vary greatly for what you get in the setup....
etc??

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/video/player.wtdr/wMTE2MTc2ODZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx

short video comparing N1 style with/without silencer to twin loop replica (obx or jdmcarboy)

But anyway.... I think I am going to go with the JDM Carboy twin loop because it's 2.25" inlet vs the 2.5" inlet and since I don't have a fully modded car (just intake at the moment) I am going to get the 2.25" inlet twin loop and have matching pipe to the cat and possibly try and find a resonator to match 2.25 as well..

Does anyone know what stock 00 LS piping is on the exhuast?? 1.75?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
djcaseanova said:
Does anyone know what stock 00 LS piping is on the exhuast?? 1.75?
1.91" OD :( :(

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm... well not really looking for crazy performance think I should even bother with 2.25? Or grab the one thats 2" inlet that I've just found?? And keep stock piping?

ahh shit i dunno im confusing myself now lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
For the money i think the ws is the quietest and best sounding, In the section with specials in it, raceinspireddc2 is selling them for like 400 shipped, thats the best price ive got

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
djcaseanova said:
Hmm... well not really looking for crazy performance think I should even bother with 2.25? Or grab the one thats 2" inlet that I've just found?? And keep stock piping?

ahh shit i dunno im confusing myself now lol
2.25" or 2.36" mandrel-bent is a HUGE upgrade from 1.91 or 2" crush-bent. 2.25" or 2.36" should be the perfect diameter for a mild-moderate N/A build. Just because the numbers themselves aren't a whole lot bigger doesn't mean it won't be worth your time/money. Also remember, the actual cross-sectional area of the pipe will be much larger than the numbers suggest.

(1.91"/2)^2 x 3.1416 = 2.866 sq in area
(2.25"/2)^2 x 3.1416 = 3.976 sq in area

That's a 39% increase in piping size in terms of area, through which the volume of gas will flow. Factor in the mandrel bends (crush bent not only causes turbulence, but the area of the cross-section of pipe is actually smaller) plus the much higher flow of the muffler and you're actually getting a HUGELY better-flowing exhaust even if you choose a good chambered muffler like an A'pexi WS.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so white98... what would you do, buy a resonator, and a twin loop muffler, or get the full apexi WS cat back??

if I remember correctly, you're somewhat partial to the WS...so I am just curious, twin loop is better flow and performance where as WS is chambered and more restricted flow, slightly lower performance....???

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
djcaseanova said:
so white98... what would you do, buy a resonator, and a twin loop muffler, or get the full apexi WS cat back??

if I remember correctly, you're somewhat partial to the WS...so I am just curious, twin loop is better flow and performance where as WS is chambered and more restricted flow, slightly lower performance....???
A custom route with a resonator and twin-loop will surely be more expensive, but also probably higher-flowing. I doubt the performance difference on anything less than a seriously hardcore build will be all that noticeable or worth the cost. The WS is chambered, but it flows very well still... supposedly quite a bit better than the ITR catback, which isn't all that bad in itself. It's up to you if it's worth the extra money to go the custom route... unless you have a pretty wild build planned, I doubt you're going to miss the 1-3whp you might get.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts