Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have my grandparents TL Type S today because i brought them to the airport. It's a pretty quick car, I'm wondering whether it could beat my celica. I raced a 3.2 TL non type S last week and walked it, but i didnt like destroy it, I'm curious, but i figured instead of risking my grandparent's car I'd just come on here and start a thread lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
My dad drives a base 2000 TL completely stock... it's 225HP but most of the new (2005-2006) ones are juiced at 270HP. Unless you have a really beefed up celly it might be a losing race for you - then again, it depends a lot on the drivers of both cars. I feel that my 2000 Prelude is quicker than my dad's TL, even though he has 25 more HP... but that could easily be a combination of his automatic transmission and the fact that his car weighs about 500lbs more than mine.

Your car would be stock at 180HP, right? Or am I thinking of a lower model of Celica?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its 180, but its just as fast if not faster then a lude. mine made 170 to the wheels and it weighs 2500lbs

·
Registered
74 Posts
TL-S will beat the celica, might be close though.
the TL-S is low 6sec 0-60. and mid 14sec quarter I think, the celica is around high 6sec 0-60 and 15sec quarter.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
LI SilverSE-R said:
its 180, but its just as fast if not faster then a lude. mine made 170 to the wheels and it weighs 2500lbs
:noo Sorry not a Vtec lude my friend. An SI or the weak S model maybe.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Team_Carnage said:
:noo Sorry not a Vtec lude my friend. An SI or the weak S model maybe.
It's not that hard to believe, man. Look up the numbers/times. The GT-S has only 10-20hp less depending on the Prelude's year, and has a shorter-geared 6-speed tranny and weighs ~400lbs (!) less. Plus his has a couple of power mods.

Regardless, racing + street = stupid.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
White98LS said:
It's not that hard to believe, man. Look up the numbers/times. The GT-S has only 10-20hp less depending on the Prelude's year, and has a shorter-geared 6-speed tranny and weighs ~400lbs (!) less. Plus his has a couple of power mods.

Regardless, racing + street = stupid.
Stock for stock.....it would be a tight race. I honestly think a vtec Lude could edge the win (esp the 4th gen vtec). Not being biased here, the celica lacks tq.

·
Registered
303 Posts
my sister had an 02 celica manual and id drive it all the time before i got my baby. it was not fast at all until she started to mod it. and she put a lot of money into it before it even became quick enough to keep in sight of a newer accord. she ended up selling it with mods up and down and i still remember it being slow. BUT, it was easily the very best handling car i think i will ever drive, stock suspension.... i miss the way it felt, at any speed.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Team_Carnage said:
Stock for stock.....it would be a tight race. I honestly think a vtec Lude could edge the win (esp the 4th gen vtec). Not being biased here, the celica lacks tq.
Yeah, but in a drag race midrange torque shouldn't matter as long as you're not driving like an idiot. It is a peaky motor for sure, but in an all-out drag race redlining in every gear, the difference isn't going to be as big as what you feel in daily driving. Plus the Celica again is a good 400lbs lighter and has significantly shorter gearing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a gt-s is a faster car then a 5th gen prelude..period

the 4th gen would be a close race

the lude is an easier car to drive though and might win for that reason, but the gt-s is a quicker car...my i/e gt-s felt quicker then my 06 type S w/ cai does...just harder to launch a gt-s

btw an 02 GT-S would be much slower then an 00-01 due to the rev limiter being 7800 instead of 8350. 03-04 have the 8350 limiter back, but in 05 they went back to 7800

the mag time for the 00 was like 15.2 and the 02 was like 15.8 because you fall out of vvtl-i between gears

so an 02 gt-s or an automatic would lose to a 5 speed prelude, but not a 6 speed 00, 01, 03 or 04

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
i have a 01 lude. raced auto tl- type S. off a launch, we take the tl type S, this is the (older models), off a roll, about even and then tl inches away from us slowly.
also raced my freinds celica GT-S MT (trd eqipped) with exhaust and intake, and took him in 01 lude MT (stock). to tell you the truth. its drivers race because most of these cars are evenly matched.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.