Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend tells me that the bolts will break on the rear when im trying to loosen the bolts for the rear shocks, since they are real difficult to remove when they are rusted out. He has done tons of spring installs, but I was wondering what everyone else has encountered on a Civic when doing the rear springs. He also said you can't use air tools back there either.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I used air tools and mine came off with no problems whatsoever. I didn't have a single stuck bolt on my whole suspension. Also didn't encounter a single stuck bolt when I did the rear disc conversion a few months back.

Of course if you live someplace where they salt the roads regularly, things may be different.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I don't even know how many springs I have swapped and I have never broken a bolt with or without air tools but it isn't that uncommon to not be able to get the 14mm nut off the struts with out the hex head hole being destroyed by either the last guy who did work or the shit is rusty and it strips out. That's only happened to me like 4 times though 2 of which were on the same car. that wasn't easy money that day.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
i've changed springs on my 93 coupe twice, on a 2001 gsr twice
and once on a 93 coupe.
so far i've never had any problems with stuck bolts but i've heard quite a few horror stories.
anyways if you want to reduce the risk go get a can of wd40 or whatever you want and spray the bolts everyday for like 2 or 3 days in a row before you decide to take it appart. that should help a lil.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I just did this two weeks ago on my 99' and didn't have any problems. I live in AZ but the car did go through two connecticut winters when lived there, I just shot the bolts with a little WD-40 and let it sit for about a half an hour, they took a a little bit of grunt to break loose but that was because the spring compressors I have sucked. they should come off easily, and saftley as long as you use spring compressors, they're like $40 to rent at autozone for and unlimited amount of time. They take the pressure off the nut and make it easier to remove.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i recently just installed my h&r race springs on my 00 si...the bolts were fairly easy to take off...i dont have any air tools so i used a pipe and put it on the end of the ratchet to get levrage...really helps...also used wd40...that really helps

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I used air tools on my 98 twice and once on civickid77 civic. That goes for the rear as well. The person who told you not to use air tools on the rear is full of it! As for the rust try WD-40 all over the bolt and that should help......

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used air tools on my si and all the bolts came off perfectly. Juss had to press the gun into the bolt so it wouldn't strip. Civics are easy when it comes to suspension installations.

But lemme tell you wrx's are no fun. Me and my friend installed his tein springs and I broke 3 torque wrenches on some of the bolts. Even the air gun had to take awhile to loosen them up. The installation took nearly 7 hrs. The location of the rear springs on the back seat are really hard to get to too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had no broken bolts/ bad rust on mine. And I had no air tools

But what i did do was , the nite b4 doing the job, i powerwashed under the arches and everything i cud get at in there. Then when i got home I soaked all the bolts in WD 40, and left it to soak overnite. worth a try anyway i suppose?

Bren

·
Registered
471 Posts
I didn't have a single stuck bolt on my suspension and I have a '97. The ONLY problem I ran into was I ended up stripping the allen head bolt setup on the drivers side front shock. I just took it to my mechanic and he unbolted the shock assembly. It was a VERY easy procedure to do...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.