Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(yes this is a cross-post, my apologies but the type-r forum doesn't see much traffic)

I'm seriously looking at importing a new Teg R from Japan. I've read all over the NHTSA site and a couple other importer websites, and got the local importers for NY. Now I just need to give them a call... but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience going down this path. From my understanding the R may need additional supports and/or chassis work to pass safety restrictions in the US. I don't think it'll be that much since we already have the RSX-S here which is virtually the same (save the engine, interior config, and possibly the glass and lightened weight).

Any tips/ideas/comments/importers that anyone can provide would be awesome. TIA!

· Registered
218 Posts
well i take it that it has to be dot3 approved. then you have to go through all the paperwork which is a big hassle. Also you have to conform to emission standards. If you go through all this, you will be the envy of many.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TCivicEX said:
well i take it that it has to be dot3 approved. then you have to go through all the paperwork which is a big hassle. Also you have to conform to emission standards. If you go through all this, you will be the envy of many.
TCivicEX, thanks for the reply. Not many people seem interested or knowledgeable in this subject so I appreciate it.

I've been doing a lot of research which has pretty much narrowed it down to this:

1) the car will (99.9% chance) have to be crash tested, due to the right-hand drive configuration, which means no type-r for me since I'd have to bring at least 2 if not 3 of them over for tests!

2) There are TONS of other modifications most likely required such as fuel system changes, ecu replacement/remapping, bumper support (for 5mph crash tests), etc.

3) The actual cost of getting the car over here would probably be around $25k, + another $5-10k for the necessary modifications. Do I really want a $35k RSX?

So I've been looking into the EVO VII RS-II which, while being more costly, seems easier to port to the US standards for emissions and has likely already been crash tested. Of course what the hell do I know. :) The guys at evolutionimports.com seem to know what's up, but yer lookin at $45k (!!) for one of these beasts.

I've got a thread going at honda-acura which might interest you with more details:

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=318282

Thanks again for your input.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cashizslick said:
i am not condoning this at all, but what if you switched the vin # with a usdm type r? just a thought
Honestly, you could do that except for the fact that you'd have to do it before the car shipped over (i.e. in Japan) or know someone in US Customs who would have access to the car. After that though, if you ever tried to resell the vehicle, you'd be focked.

It has crossed my mind but I'm trying to be as legit about this as possible.

· Registered
225 Posts
webguy330i said:
Honestly, you could do that except for the fact that you'd have to do it before the car shipped over (i.e. in Japan) or know someone in US Customs who would have access to the car. After that though, if you ever tried to resell the vehicle, you'd be focked.

It has crossed my mind but I'm trying to be as legit about this as possible.
True, Selling the car would be a big problem. I never thought of that, i just assumed that a JDM type R would run forever and ever. . . . . . . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.