Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before u put on your turbo...and hit your VTEC point, usually it would be pretty abrupt, with a loud, deep mumble telling you that your cams have switched profiles....(that wonderful sound that we all love...)

then you have your turbo, with its marvelous psshhh pshhhhh sound of the blow-off-valve...

so my question is, with your turbo onto your dohc vtec, is it possible to hear both? many now a days are turbo-ing the integra ls motor... can u still hear the VTEC and switching of cam profiles with a turbo? at what psi is this and for what type engine and turbo kit?? is there also that wonderful pshhhhhh pshhhhhhh sound we all love to hear??

thanks for everything, still searching for that motor that will rev to the sky, hear the VTEC, and also the pppsssssshhhhhhh pssssshhhhhhhhhh

· Registered
1,675 Posts
jordan said:
i have met some stupid people in my days, but geeees

ls is non-vtec

Hey hey be nice.He's rite the ls in non vtec.Honestly i've never experienced vtec without the turbo ( well except my 98 accord ex had vtec but it was sohc and i couldn't really hear or feel anything at the switch from low to high cam profiles).I swaped my engine and had the turbo on it it from day one.Not that it matters (at least to me) but i've never heard or felt the acclaimed vtec that everybody praises.To me it's all the same.....boost:D .

· Registered
220 Posts
Ls - doesnt have VTEC like many people stated but you can go LS/VTEC swap or just get a GSR or B16A2 head on your LS block with some mods to have LS/V... and yes you can adjust your VTEC to kick in the same time the turbo spools up .. they do this at a Dyno and thats how race cars are setup... good luck..

· Registered
3,732 Posts
b16ahybrid said:
Hey hey be nice.He's rite the ls in non vtec.Honestly i've never experienced vtec without the turbo ( well except my 98 accord ex had vtec but it was sohc and i couldn't really hear or feel anything at the switch from low to high cam profiles).I swaped my engine and had the turbo on it it from day one.Not that it matters (at least to me) but i've never heard or felt the acclaimed vtec that everybody praises.To me it's all the same.....boost:D .
I'd love to take you for a spin in a 88 crx hatchback with b16a swap, full built, all motor power. I got a ride in that car, my friends car, and wow, that was just badass, tires spinning. :)

· Registered
2,138 Posts
There would not be any reason u couldnt hear it becuase the sounds occur at totally diferent times. The BOV goes off when ur let off the throttle and vtec kicks in when u get on it.

· Registered
683 Posts
it sounds the best with b16 turboed, especially when you shift in real high rpms and its stays in vtec and the blow off valve does its thing then the turbos spools back up, damn i miss my motor

· Registered
87 Posts
My experience with boost and VTEC with a supercharger is much the same. VTEC used to be very noticable by the sound of the exhaust and that extra acceleration. Once I added a stock Jackson Racing Supercharger at 6psi everything had more volume and torque so once I hit VTEC it tended to blend in with the JSRC. Audibly I can barely tell the difference anymore when it kicks in. Physically I can still feel the difference, but it isn't the same rush of acceleration. It seemed to smooth everything out overall. If you throw a passenger in the car they'll never know if your VTEC is on or off. Just install one of those LEDS off of your VTEC solenoid and you're good to go.

· Registered
345 Posts
Vtec and Boost!

I just really notice the R's jumping up to 8k , and in 4th I really notice w/ dual intake runners kicking in you feel a little jump in acceleration' A great combo!!! :)

Mark

· Registered
1,208 Posts
Man, I can hear and feel VTEC engage on my car. The engine as a whole makes the noise of the cam change instead of the sound coming out of the intake when I was not turbo'd. Now that my B16A2 is turbo'd with most parts from a Revhard kit the car just wails when VTEC hits. Then above 5500 I'm chewing up pavement!

If I'm getting on low boost w/o WOT then people on the street hear VTEC engage, but when I'm on boost at WOT all you'll hear on the street (different from in the car) is the wail of the excess exhaust gases exiting the dump tube. My dump tube vents to the open air. Its loud!

Oh yeah...and now that I have boost I don't care if I "hear" VTEC engage. I just want to hear that turbo spool up and watch my competition get left behind.

· Registered
249 Posts
hell i have no idea there is so much power on my car at low rpm now, what vtec, i mean i know its there but shit vtec is the 1st step once you get the next like turbo or anytype of major power aditive its not important to me,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.