Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I just pull a :bh DUMBASS :kick move? I had read so much mixed opinions on the Tokico blues on here...I just presumed pretty full compatiblity.
I have seen them listed on many tuner sites, though I may not have taken a close look to ensure it listed 5th gen's. I don't recall seeing anything that "exc"ed the VTEC? But, after I brought them home and wanted to research the specs a bit more (yes I know too late now, if the following is true)

. . PERFORMANCE: ILLUMINA: .
Model: Year: Front: Rear: Front: Rear: Suspension kits:
Accord 1986-89 HU2781 HU2783 - - -
HU2782 - - -

Accord1990-97 HU3714 HU2896 BU3714 BU2896 Yes

(All incl. S/W exc. *****) Accord
4&6 cyl (incl. coupe)) 1998-02 HU3730 HU2934 BU3730 BU2934 Yes

Sorry this looks so bad..but their table doesn't travel well....and where ou see the ***** it says VTEC on their site...
.and the link won't take you there..because it needs to know the make/model and that info is not in the URL ...but you can go to
www.tokicogasshocks.com and drill into the Applications yourself and see...
Am I missing something here or will I be listing these here or on ebay this week?

And for those non-Tokico fans....if they perform as bad as their site or don't fit VTEC set ups...I will join your side with my head hung low :( ....(but there is some good basic explanations of how suspensions work)

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
your post seems confusing, at least for me but i'll try to help if you answer few questions?

which shocks/struts did you expect to get? the blues or the illuminas?

what kind of springs do you have now or plan on getting?
how much do you want to spend for new shocks/struts?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i dont see why a shock would have anything to do w/ a engine size for a car. i have a 96 accord vtec w/ tokico blue shocks and everything works fine. i have the shocks inside eibach sportline spring. myabe mine works great b/c i did a vtec swap when my car was already lowered. if anything just specify and get tokico blue for the vtec accord. other than that ur post confuses the crap out of me. :confused

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry the intial post is confusing..it was after 3am...and look at my avatar..that was my near condition after a wine dinner I had to host.

I will try to clarify:

I found a setup cheap...it was 3 Tokico blues front(HU3714) with one brand new in the box and 2 Tokico blues rear(HU2896) with a set of Ractive Coil Over sleeves (330690).

I researched the blues on their site and a few other online retailers and all had the shocks listed as compatible with 94-97 Accord 4cyl EXCEPT VTEC.

This is where I am stuck. Why would the blues not work on a VTEC? The owner had them on a 97 CL VTEC. I know many have their less than positive feelings regarding blues, but the price was right so I was gonna take the chance. If they blow or don't work, I am only out 100 bucks...no great loss...

Now the Ractive sleeves offer alot more drop than I want..up to 4 inches. I have no intention of running that low...just about a 1.5 drop is all i seek..enough to close the gap. I will probably pickup some Eibach Pro's eventually, but will give these a shot until then, barring any Warning's from others that have used these.

I hope this helps...
Thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
1.What kind of car are you puttting them on?

2. All 5th gen preludes are VTEC!

3.saying it dosen't fit some cars with sme engines is fine cause some car with a certian engine have other diffrence such as suspension and it is just a lame way of listing it. Example Civic EX DX and so on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is a 94 EX sedan w/ VTEC...the Tokico website excludes the VTEC models in the 5th gen on their compatability chart...My tuner shop had my car for window tinting yesterday and put her up on the lift for me and looked at them...they saw no problems..I will put them on next week and update.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
i say stay a way from the blues and those crappy coilovers.
i'd rather leave the suspension stock than to put that crap on it. belive it or not your car might handle better stock than with the blues and that ractive crap.
yea i know its only $100 but you can put that on the side for a better setup.
its not just the money either. think about labor/time wasted to put that crap in just to have to take it out later for a better setup.
but hey its your car and you do whatever you like. i learned the hard way and all i'm trying to do is help you. good luck.

Reactions: wineguydfw
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.