Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate the fact that I am about to ask this question because I see it here so much...oh well here goes.

What should I do with my 95 GSR?

There I said it....

Bottom line I need a new tranny...my current gear box has turned into a cruch box. Aside from that, I would like to build the engine...but to what extent. FI sounds really great...but then a fast NA engine would be neat-o too. What I really want is a car that is fun as hell to drive (ie: power 4000 rpms and up, and an even torque curve) and that I don't have to pamper. I really don't care if I have the fastest GSR in the world. I would be happy with a car putting somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-210hp to the wheels. Here are the secenarios that I have come up with.

1) Go FI with stock internals and have a minor rebuild/reinforce done on the engine assuring that all of the internals are in good shape and replacing what is not. If I go FI the most boost I would run is 8psi.

2) Go Na with my current B18C. Use Toda Spec A or type-r cams, boost CR to @ 12:1, and replace all of the internals to handle a 84000-9000rpm rev limit and then stopping there. This would also include a rebuild of the bottom end. This set up is looking the most attractive...I must admit I am partial to an NA engine.

3) Go Na with a B20vtec. This setup I know very little about, but I have liked the results that I have seen.

4) Go Turbo with a B20. I have no idea what results this would produce, but it's the only alternative to an NA b20.

5) Sell my car and buy an imported R33 GTR Vspec. (in my dreams)BTW, I have heard a rumor that you are only allowed to have an imported vehicle registered for 5 years in the US after that the DMV will not reigister it any longer. Is this true?

I have left a alot of details out here, I know that with all of these set ups I will also need to consider air/fuel delivery and spark. My obvious problem is deciding on an engine set up NA/Turbo. I have the patience to save the money, and I finally have the patience to do it right the first time. What do you guys have to say?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
if you wanna go fast in a straight line, get an LS tranny, its cheaper!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Straight line acceleration is not my top prioriety, I enjoy cutting mountain roads much more.

·
Registered
234 Posts
id say go with option #2. i didn't see a jackson supercharger in your options, i hear their great with GSRs and if you want to do canyon racing then you'll always have the power instead of builing up to the power.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A JRSC is definateley an option, but that brings reliability back into play. More specifically the reliability of the supercharger itself. That is why I had left it out of the list. If I go with FI, I will probably go with a turbo.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well how much money do you have to spend? That is the question.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, but I am looking for a type-r tranny.

I wonder how much the B20 will effect weight distribution. I imagine that the B20 is slightly heavier than the B18. While that would be advantageous in a Drag racing setup, it would not be in a road race set up. Correct me if I am wrong, but more weight over the front wheels would increse the likley hood of understeer.

BTW Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you talking street light to street light?
Are you out in the boonies with the turns?
how much money can you spend?
how much time do you want to put into it?

etc etc, I could think of more, but...

sit down and think of what you are going for, consider especially money and power. it will narrow your choices, trust me. once you have those figured out, you can see what you got to work with. :)

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Skibbers said:
Are you talking street light to street light?
Are you out in the boonies with the turns?
how much money can you spend?
how much time do you want to put into it?

etc etc, I could think of more, but...

sit down and think of what you are going for, consider especially money and power. it will narrow your choices, trust me. once you have those figured out, you can see what you got to work with. :)

Agreed,

Most of what you are listing as "what you want to do" is based on what you want out of the car and how much you have to spend.

All of the options that you listed are available but, NA with the b18 at least, even when built up will not be at 200 or more WHP.

You must remember that with any of these setups you are going to need dyno tuning and unless you are good a friendly mechanic to help you through the tough spots.

As well all the options you listed while maybe not being inhearantly unreliable, require ALOT of time and care to be done correctly, and maintained correctly.

NOTHING you listed is Plug-N-Go without care and maintenance. You may even experience some troubles after the B20 transplant but, it seems to be a good swap with minimal problems.

And finally I must stress: ALL of the Above build-ups require care and attention, Especially a Turbo or Super Charger set-up. When you get things spinning that fast and force more pressure in those cylinders, stuff just tends to age quicker and need more attention, Especially the turbines.

Good luck,

A.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are several good speed shops here in the Atlanta area that I have been in contact with, that will not be an issue. I would like to sit down with one of their techs and discuss my ideas with them.

Obviously, I have never done any serious modifications to my engine before. I am trying to get as much advice and info as I can before making any long term descisions. I understand what goes into building an engine and what I need to plan for. What I don't have is testamonials. What I was also hoping to get from this post is responses from individuals who have actually compared an NA built B18c vs a FI B18c. I want to know how the car is going to behave after the modifications. What is the biggest pain in the ass with a FI set up, and what is the biggest pain in the ass with a NA set up. I realize how broad those two questions are BTW. I just thought I would throw them out there. It would be nice if someone here was like "I like my built NA b18c becuse..." or "I like my built turbo b18c becuase..." or "I wish I had gone NA or FI because..."

You know what I mean...thanks ya'll

:)

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
there is a cap on how long an imported car can stay in the states, but i don't know the exact amount.:(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. Whatever I decide, I will keep the board posted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts