Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing new cam gear oil seals b/c they're leaking (and also installing AEM cam gears). My friend is a mechanic who's going to help me, and looked up instructions for the job. Apparently I need a "gear puller" to take off the cam gears? Does anyone know what this looks like or where I could get one, or if it's even necessary?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DrivinVtec: Dickbeaters? Nah I don't use "the two things attached to your wrists" for that, usually your mom takes care of that for me. J/k...

I'm glad everyone's got a sense of humor here... :D

Anyhow, thanks for the input guys. I may just use my "dickbeaters" to do the job. Another $40 something sounds unnecessary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
road.head, Clone: took a closer look at that link to the tool...isn't that just a cam gear holder to prevent the gears from moving when you're replacing the timing belt? I was looking for a tool that actually removes the gears. And if I just yank them off w/my hands won't it risk moving the camshafts? I know there's a maintenance hole in the balance shaft where you insert a bolt to prevent the balance shaft from moving, but does that prevent the camshafts from moving also?

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
97AClude said:
road.head, Clone: took a closer look at that link to the tool...isn't that just a cam gear holder to prevent the gears from moving when you're replacing the timing belt? I was looking for a tool that actually removes the gears. And if I just yank them off w/my hands won't it risk moving the camshafts? I know there's a maintenance hole in the balance shaft where you insert a bolt to prevent the balance shaft from moving, but does that prevent the camshafts from moving also?
if you're at TDC there should be one hole in the top of each cam shaft somewhere over cylinder #1. stick a small allen wrench in each hole and you're good to go :tu

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
97AClude said:
DrivinVtec: Dickbeaters? Nah I don't use "the two things attached to your wrists" for that, usually your mom takes care of that for me. J/k...

I'm glad everyone's got a sense of humor here... :D

Anyhow, thanks for the input guys. I may just use my "dickbeaters" to do the job. Another $40 something sounds unnecessary.
dont lie. your dick beaters are under yours nose an above your chin. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DrivinVtec: hahaha....i guess we're even. btw, your mom says hi from underneath my desk.

crdcz03: the bolt is inserted into the maintenance hole after the crank is rotated to TDC at cylinder #1, which should lock the camshaft (this is what i'm not sure of). i know there's the hole on the camshaft that indicates TDC but how does that lock it in place? and is that where the key is (the diagram from the helms manual shows a key which i'm guessing locks the gear onto the shaft)

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
97AClude said:
DrivinVtec: hahaha....i guess we're even. btw, your mom says hi from underneath my desk.

crdcz03: the bolt is inserted into the maintenance hole after the crank is rotated to TDC at cylinder #1, which should lock the camshaft (this is what i'm not sure of). i know there's the hole on the camshaft that indicates TDC but how does that lock it in place? and is that where the key is (the diagram from the helms manual shows a key which i'm guessing locks the gear onto the shaft)
you put the allen wrench into the hole and its locked lol. theres those two plates that sit above the cams that the allen wrench will go through too.

im sure once you pop open the valve cover itll make sense :tu

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
i dont see anyone laughing here :mad
its hard to tell when people are being sarcastic on teh internet. :lol

oh btw, i see me laughing

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
crdcz03 said:
its hard to tell when people are being sarcastic on teh internet. :lol

oh btw, i see me laughing
stop being an asshole man, talking shit about someones dead mother aint funny. :mad

Loosing someone that's being so close to you is the worst thing that could happend to you and is something i would never wish even for my worst enemys and the last thing you want is someone to make fan of it. :noo

Just a friendly advice: You have to learn to know when is wise to STFU, that ability gonna save you from many unpleasand moments in your life. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
crdcz03: i think i know what you're talking about now, the two plates that hold down the camshafts...this makes sense now, thanks. i talked to a couple more people and they say that you definitely need a gear puller to take off the gears b/c they're pressed onto the camshafts...so i'm not sure how you would just pull them off w/out them, correctly at least...is this something that you've done before?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.