Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying new tools. This will be my first and I want good working tools. What I'm suppose to look for? What are the worst and best from your past experience??

thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
With tools you definately get what you pay for. There is no better tool than Snap-On Tools, but you a pay a price for the best quality tools you can buy. Craftsman Tools seem to be the best compromise between quality and price. If you break a tool from either of these companies, they will replace it for free.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
i have had good luck with craftsman and ace, they seem about the same quality and they both have replacement guarantees...
if you can afford it though, go snap on for everything...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Buy tools in which you will use..not because they look nice and are advanced. Maybe look into a complete set of open-wrenches and sockets

I second getting Snap-On tools..they work wonders.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Snap-ON are great tools but are very expensive.

I suggest ACE or Craftsman, both have lifetime warrantees and are a great compromise of price and quality.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i personally like craftsman myself, i have a ton of their tools and some other kinds KD, some cheap korean crap, but my craftsman are the best. snap on, matco, craftsman are all really good, the fact i live 3 blocks from a sears makes me biased at the moment though.

i am particularly hard on tools, i am known for braking either bolts, nuts or the tool but i have never broken a craftsman over the years.

now for your real question though get a set or tool package that has at least 75% or better metric. honda is all metric but your in. sockets come in handy. if anything i would suggest as much metric as possible. a 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 driver and a number sockets for each, be ready to buy more when needed of course. you just cannot plan on needing a 13mm extra deep well with and extension and a U-joint or that special swivel socket. some box ends all metric are great, good set of screw drivers. luckily allot of the nuts and bolts on hondas are all the same size, 10mm is a very common size as is 12mm.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Craftsman tools are the best. They come with a lifetime warranty so you will have no problem with them. I've stripped one of my sockets, brought it back to Sears, and they replaced me with a brand new one. Tools can be expensive, but they last a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
89 IROC Z said:

i am particularly hard on tools, i am known for braking either bolts, nuts or the tool but i have never broken a craftsman over the years.

wow
im very impressed, i am on my 3rd craftsman ratchet in 3 months right now, i also have broken 2 of the 18" breaker bars as well...but they replaced em for free no questions asked...I also try and keep at least 2 of every tool around as well, just in that case...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by v4lu3s i am on my 3rd craftsman ratchet in 3 months right now,
this makes me wonder is the quality gone down or something? i am still on my original rachets from ahum '89 and i'd have a fit if i broke 1. i was breaking loose the bolts to the crank pulley on my old 302 and actaully turned it over in gear (stick) with a 1/2 in. driver, not once but like 4 times. after pretzeling a tbar with a cheater bar for leverage i learned to just get a impact wrench. dont be me wrong though i have grenaded lesser tools in about 30 seconds use. even the KD tools i have are toast and i only use them on small stuff, the rachet is [email protected]#$ completely and even the screw driver handle that came with it is toast.

place the tools on the ground and step away...... stop using those rachets as hammers everything will be OK.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you are hard with your tool, dont get snap-on...because if you break a ratchet and they see some hammer mark on it, they will not replace it!
Go with craftmans, good price and durability and they ask no question when you break a tool-always get a new one!

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
cyvic said:
I'm planning on buying new tools. This will be my first and I want good working tools. What I'm suppose to look for? What are the worst and best from your past experience??

thanks
That's a good ? . Who makes the best torque wrench?
That "matches" the Haynes manual "specs"? (I've got one,
but I'm always "converting" :().

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get one of the newer torque wreches with dual calibration (Metric & SAE), so whatever manual you get (JDM or else), you're covered. I have two, one for small stuff (10~80 pounds), and one for heavier stuff like flywheels (up to 250 pounds). If anyone here has ever worked on a VW flat four, the flywheel is torqued to 225 pounds, so it pays to have good torque wrenches.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Enano Siniestro said:
Get one of the newer torque wreches with dual calibration (Metric & SAE), so whatever manual you get (JDM or else), you're covered. I have two, one for small stuff (10~80 pounds), and one for heavier stuff like flywheels (up to 250 pounds). If anyone here has ever worked on a VW flat four, the flywheel is torqued to 225 pounds, so it pays to have good torque wrenches.
Good deal! Now I need the money :D. Thanks. My advice:
when you're looking for a good torque wrench, DON'T go
to Pep Boys.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Unless you're a professional mechanic, it's usually not worth paying double or triple for Snap-On or Matco (or what Griotts Garage sells that the Ferrari race teams use... it's insane) vs. Craftsman or something of that level.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
craftsman is perfect for most household mechanics. and most people live near a sears so replacement is easy if a tool is broken. imine work perfect and i've done some serious wrenching on my damn car. if money were no object then snap-on is the best. i'd rather buy more parts for my car though

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.