Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last night i was dropping my friend off at his house and when i angled into his driveway, i heard a loud thud that i could feel in my shifter. i thought my shift linkage had snapped or something, but it turns out a sway bar bracket from the front had torn off. i haven't taken a look under the car, but only the U part fell off, and i'm thinking the two ends are still bolted on there since they didn't fall out. what could have caused this?

i've been keeping my suspension on the softest setting lately and i've been carrying people around since i put my backseats back. could that have caused it?

anyway, i called up acura and ordered 2 new U brackets and i'm hoping this'll never happen again. it scared the shiznit out of me.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
No advice... but at least your motor is ok.

In my old DA, i ripped out about 1/4 of the oil pan on a rock in a gravel driveway. There was a 8" hole in the pan, which amazingly didnt damage the crank, or anything else. Talk about scared shitless haha.

GL

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Is it just the bracket/bolt that broke or the subframe? Subframe tearout is common with big rear swaybars, less common in front. Esp. if you have a big front sway and relatively soft spring rates and a high ride height, hitting weird angles like driveways is the perfect chance for something like that to happen.

Let me know how much those U-brackets cost... I'm going back to the stock 22.1mm front sway soon and I have the bar but I'm missing some hardware.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White98LS said:
Is it just the bracket/bolt that broke or the subframe? Subframe tearout is common with big rear swaybars, less common in front. Esp. if you have a big front sway and relatively soft spring rates and a high ride height, hitting weird angles like driveways is the perfect chance for something like that to happen.

Let me know how much those U-brackets cost... I'm going back to the stock 22.1mm front sway soon and I have the bar but I'm missing some hardware.
no it wasn't the subframe. it was just the U bend. the rest is still bolted on there. i'm keeping my car on stiff from now on. as far as the U brackets, they cost 6 dollars each at acura.

why are you going back to the stock?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
flyracerx said:
why are you going back to the stock?
Oversteer, baby... oversteer. The car feels great but just a bit too much understeer on some auto-x courses. I'll get some extra rotation with the stock front bar (25.4mm --> 22.1mm) so I won't have to crank the rear shocks as much to get the rear more "active".

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
White98LS said:
Oversteer, baby... oversteer. The car feels great but just a bit too much understeer on some auto-x courses. I'll get some extra rotation with the stock front bar (25.4mm --> 22.1mm) so I won't have to crank the rear shocks as much to get the rear more "active".
ah, i figured. wanna sell me your 25.4? hehe

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
flyracerx said:
ah, i figured. wanna sell me your 25.4? hehe
Actually, maybe. We'll see how it feels. Right now work and, ironically, autocrosses are keeping me from having the time to swap them out.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
flyracerx said:
well if you decide the LS is too little, i have an extra GSR bar.
Awesome. That may happen. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.