Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a torque converter in their civic / integra? I was wondering if a larger torque converter would be worth the $$ for a 4 cyl, and if it even works with Front wheel drive cars?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
14,616 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
unfortunately it will be a modified stock converter and costs way more then its worth. if anything you want a brand new smaller converter so it will produce more tq at the wheels. a larger converter would hurt performance rather then help it.

· Registered
170 Posts
torque converters

theres a few companies makin after market tq con...right now im lookin at a company called levelten for my sisters car(92ls)...but you should hold off from what i hear till you get the majority of your performance mods done ie turbo,nitrous,blower or whatever you are doing...

· Registered
148 Posts
LEVELTEN is the company i was refering too. they use a modified stock converter istead of an actaul performance built converter which should be a smaller unit not stock. also their cost is a bit excessive considering i compared commonly available parts for a chevy or ford with top of the line items and their price was closer to the high end then the budget minded.

if TCI or B&M where building converters they would be new units and cost about half as much. someone needs to put a bee in their ear if you want to see that though.

· Registered
18 Posts
i emailed TCI, and they responded that they were testing out torque converters for honda's with great results. They said the product should be out in several months.

· Registered
148 Posts
NOW THAT'S GOOD NEWS!!!! now the automatic guys will have a decent off the shelf converter that should only cost about $300 or less. TCI's current pricing runs from $199 to just over $300 for their highest stall converter.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
levelten is charging alot vs. mustang and camaro tuners cause they are pretty much the only company working on honda auto trannies

once more companies will enter the field...well let your business classes take this over

· Registered
148 Posts
better beef that tranny or BOOM, the converter may work great but transverse tranny is weak.:(

· Registered
148 Posts
what level of boost you throwing at it and how hard are you running it? transverse just dont seem to hold as well as your FR layout do. my man with a SBC in a fiero (transverse) just grenaded his trans at the starting line 1st run.

the real killer seems to be tq and high traction, more tq, more traction less trans life. run that baby with some slicks and high boost and watchout. the 1 real advantage to a turbo 4 is lower tq levels at low rpm. the fiero made over 300 lb/ft at the wheels in a 2000 lbs car. its a wheel stander when it runs that is! the tq comes in at peak by 3200 rpm, devastating the trans. he hasnt had an auto hold for more then a short time, normally gets 3 runs before it heats up to much to run down the track. still hasnt tested the 150hp shot he just installed. he was going to that nite when he not only blew this trans but literally broke it wide open. even the case is shot!

· Registered
18 Posts
running .45 bar... i've actually run .65 bar on it. Shifting is good. Sometimes it slips downshifting. :/
I'm hoping that maybe the torque converter and maybe racing ATF from redline will help that.

Oh, i have trouble with traction btw... sometimes the wheels will slip but not often.

· Registered
148 Posts
if you think it slips now wait until you install that new converter. a good converter will multiply your crank tq allot better then a loose stock converter and really hammer that trans. add a little traction and i would worry about a burn up.

you will need more then racing trans fluid, the racing fluid is simply really heavy weight trans fluid which really raises the line pressure, good and bad:( in a stock trans not as good as bad. a shift kit at the least would help, but again only levelten is currently offering squat and the cost is rediculous. :rolleyes: a kit from b&m or better yet transgo would be a real savior.

· Registered
148 Posts
now i see your sig. so you have over 100K on original tranny? then i am really surprised it is holding up so well. must have gotten a really good 1. i say when the converter comes out give it a try but keep in mind that the trans may start to really grown about the abuse. at least if you know what to expect you can plan ahead. i'd go with a mild to medium stall speed unless you reach for allot more boost, but again that launch will munch the trans.

the import stall speeds should end up being allot higher then the V8 stalls currently listed most places. right now a mild tci converter stalls at 2000 or less and a nice mid level converter stalls at 2400-2800 depending on tq load.

i'm not saying a new converter will definately blow your trans 1st day out but what could happen and to take it easy and build into harder launches. as the trans heats up at the track they tend to slip more and more so an easy hand will help.

· Registered
148 Posts
a trans cooler will help in track use or really heavy street use, but i doubt most need it. auto-x is to short for the need, only a track day (road course) would really need it. turbo/ls with auto trans if you want to make more then 3-4 runs in a night it would help with a manual electric fan or infront of the engine cooling fans rigged to run with just the ignition on.

the reason the domestics can last and run so long on an auto trans is 1 they where here 1st doing performance apps. 2nd the aftermarket is already there. levelten is currently the only one offering anything. a shift kit helps more then just shift feel or the time it takes the trans to shift. it also helps trans life and adds strength allowing the trans to handle more hp and more importantly tq. a good kit like from trango would do wonders for an import auto trans. saidly its not being made, at least not yet.

the main problem as i see it currently is the transverse step up as a whole, that little auto trans hasnt been perfected for real serious duty yet so no one has made good parts for it. if tci comes onboard then other normally domestic manufactures will come onboard to produce good components for import auto trans. like kevlar clutches and bands along with shift kits and tq converters.

the potential market is there and performance potential. whether or not anyone has stepped up and tried building a good test mule for some parts i dont know yet. you need a big company with a big R&D budget which can see how a good product at a reasonable price will make up the cost in the long run.

· Registered
18 Posts
yeah original tranny, been using neo synthetic atf and i have a hayden 604 tranny cooler installed. Right now as it, if i brake torque, i can bring it up to 2.5 k rpms. last time i ran my car in the quarter mile, the car was n/a and hat 2.8 60' times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.