Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:byye I am not only new to the site but new to the import tuning world also. I don't know what car I will get yet, either civic or teg, but prolly a teg because my dad works for Acura. I am running on a slim budget right now and have aquired a free OTTO Racing muffler and free factory accessory integre five spokes (dad) but I am looking for a relatively cheap but highly effective security system. Any suggestions on what, where, and how much would greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
The best bang for the buck are the free security mods. Relocate your hood release cable.
Some other things you could do for under 10 bucks are:
Wire a fuel cut off switch or ignition kill switch or both. Wire a switch into the fuel pump wiring or ignition relay wiring and hide the switch somewhere in the car. Its like 5 bucks for wire and about 5 for a switch.
Using relays hook up the door locks so they only open electrically from the inside when the cars ignition is on. This prevents thiefs from slipping a coathanger in and hitting the unlock switch. The relays are 3 bucks each. You need one for each door.

For for 20 bucks you can add 3 layers to your security system. Layering is the key. A theif cares about time and by having to mess with those 3 hopefully he will leave. hopefully once he cant get your hood open so he can cut the wires going to your siren or disconnect the battary.

I just thought of another one. Change your battery terminals to the terminals that require allen wrenches to get off. This will take a little more time to get off, leaving your alarm going off for a little while longer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
theres plenty of mods you can do. from muffler to intake, or from body kits to stereo system.
Welcome To SHO Too :hehe

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
acuradriva said:
I just thought of another one. Change your battery terminals to the terminals that require allen wrenches to get off. This will take a little more time to get off, leaving your alarm going off for a little while longer.
That's a great idea, I bet most thieves don't even carry allen keys.

The hood cable release is well worth the 5 minutes... I recently found my driver's side wheelwell fasteners gone completely, as if someone had tried to pull the cable... luckily I had already relocated it. That is the only attempt I have ever noticed on my car - and yes I am VERY lucky. *knocks on wood*

My friend's Integra was just broken into 2 months ago... they cut the alarm wires under the hood (scared me how easy it was) and tried to start the car but gave up because it had kill switches in it (it's all on a security camera). They ended up ripping off his ITR wing, and he ended up with $3k+ from insurance for the hatch/wing and a little scratch on the roof from prying at the door/window... so now he has a C/F hatch and $2k sitting around and I'm insanely jealous.

So in short, about 1-2 hours of time and $10 between my friend and I could very well have saved my engine/tranny and his entire car from being stolen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.