Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's better doin the touge or mountain carving or just some good grip racing? FWd or RWD? I get mixed information from rwd cars being better but I have no hard evidence or facts.

·
Banned
1,513 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
IMO it's all about "fun", so have the most fun in whatever you got. ;)
Yeah I say take what you got tune it to run its best and tear up the road my friend! I was just stating facts last post but this is my opinion on the topic.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
idonthaveavtec said:
If RWD is better for road racing, then what is FWD any good for?
Economy. Low speed straight line wet/snow/ice traction. That's it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is absolutely full of shit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:tu Good job there. I bet you had fun and smoked the victory cigar (swisher sweets). How did you get that heavy prelude movin? I can understand autox isnt about the mods and havin deeper pockets (like drag racing) which I enjoy too but obviously the fat bastard that's got 20g's down his motor is gonna walk all over you on the track... but preludes are pretty heavy... what did you beat out?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
can't find the document right now. I know I beat an ITR in at least one event, along with some other slightly modified 2 doors, import and domestic. I can think of a few but I don't want to guess. I put in a request to my SCCA group listing on yahoo, hopefully I'll get something back.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
what the... said:
ahem...\/\/FWD is good for something\/\/\/
So you're saying a car the same overall size/weight as the Prelude with the same power/weight ratio and gearing would not perform better if it were RWD?

Sorry.... FWD is nothing but a hindrance to anyone trying to go fast, either in a straight line or around curves.

Good job on the 1st place, though. ;)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Nathan123 said:
Sorry.... FWD is nothing but a hindrance to anyone trying to go fast, either in a straight line or around curves.

I'm gonna have to throw my two cents in. If you have a good LSD and properly set up suspension you can hang with any RWD in most situtations, and even better in wet or low traction conditions. How do I know? I've autocrossed and road raced for many years and the numbers don't lie. Oh ya and I've smoked countless f-body's in my Corrado (2500lbs) at most autocross events.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
danmakG60 said:
I'm gonna have to throw my two cents in. If you have a good LSD and properly set up suspension you can hang with any RWD in most situtations, and even better in wet or low traction conditions. How do I know? I've autocrossed and road raced for many years and the numbers don't lie. Oh ya and I've smoked countless f-body's in my Corrado (2500lbs) at most autocross events.
There is nothing, performance wise, that RWD can't do better than FWD. It doesn't matter if you've beaten cars that weigh 1100 pounds more than yours, or stomped on people who drive like shit when it rains... that's apples and oranges. If your car was RWD, it would be able to go faster. Period.
I don't know why people ignore physics and the cold, hard facts just to essentially say "it's almost as good sometimes" or "if you replace ____ and get ____ it's not quite as bad".

·
Registered
352 Posts
he's right you know ^^ Anyways where I go autocrossing there are a few preludes and they always finish near the top and the provincial champion drives a prelude too. They are good handling cars - now before anyone freaks out yes if they were rear wheel drive they would probably be better

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes...a RWD civic would be better than a FWD civic...but my FWD civic still kicks all the f-body car's ass at the autocrosses so im not too worried about it

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Solo2Civic said:
yes...a RWD civic would be better than a FWD civic...but my FWD civic still kicks all the f-body car's ass at the autocrosses so im not too worried about it
So would a 5 hp go-kart. Or a well driven Geo metro.
Hell, your car could probably easily smoke a Z06 Vette, NSX, or Viper in a really tight parking lot course.

And the moral of the story is:
Real sports cars don't excel at parking lot autocross, light FWD economy cars do.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
lets see...
FWD= torque steer, ridiculous front weight bias, gross understeer, and tuck-in

RWD eliminates all of these...but....

FWD goes where its pointed at low speed (good for parking) has the front weight, so its better in snow, and is cheaper to produce, and offers a slight fuel savings....

but even in autox... watch the miatas and the LOTUS ELISE...the greatest car ever...

the verdict? FWD sucks for any type of performance driving but is perfect for a daily driver...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts