Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday July 17, 1:14 AM

Toyota eyes alliance with GM: report

CHICAGO (AFP) - Japanese auto giant Toyota Motor is reportedly considering proposing an alliance with General Motors to prevent its US rival from forming a three-way tie-up with Renault and Nissan.

Citing "people with knowledge of the Japanese auto maker's plans," BusinessWeek magazine said Toyota had "war-gamed" a proposal to assist struggling GM, the world's largest auto maker, and head off a deal that would create a monolithic automotive group.

"Toyota has no interest in seeing an alliance like this (linking Renault, Nissan and GM) take place," an executive who asked not to be identified was quoted as saying.

The magazine said "whether Toyota actually makes a bid remains to be seen." It contacted several GM executives who said the company has heard nothing from Toyota. And Toyota spokesman Steven Curtis told BusinessWeek that any talk of an offer is "pure speculation."

The Japanese auto maker is wary of more than just the competition that would result from an alliance between GM, Renault and Nissan, whose chiefs met Friday in Detroit, Michigan, and agreed to conduct a 90-day joint review of a potential alliance.

Toyota is concerned about the political and social backlash that could result if GM falls apart, the magazine said.

However, an equity tie-up -- like that proposed by GM's largest private shareholder Kirk Kerkorian, would be unlikely, the magazine said, citing "one source familiar with Toyota's strategy" who explained: "It's not in their culture."

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dr_dohc said:
i really don't know what to think :confused :fear
Sadly GM is a wounded animal and all of the predators are flocking to the scene. :( But GM is still a HUGE company with large resources both materially and in intellectual property so it's not like another company can just come in and make a undervalued offer to GM's stockholders. Plus the Japanese companies are worried about an American nationalistic flashback if a foreign company buys into a large US icon. MB's purchase is a good example of how things should be done. Basically to the benefit of both parties & the consumers.

Moves and counter moves. :ninja

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
i'm curious about the ties between the french and americans...

in everyday life, we always hear how americans don't look too kindly on the french... i haven't seen much reaction from people as to the news gm may have a helping hand from a french company...

how have people reacted from your perspectives, guys?

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a lot of french companies that own "american" companies. I'd rather it be that we (Americans) are buying properties in other nations, but I guess most people don't think about it an/or are used to multi-national companies.

"Global Economy" and all that. :eek:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
i'm surprised i haven't heard much backlash from the country hillbilly/******* contingent... :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
theflipimage said:
i'm surprised i haven't heard much backlash from the country hillbilly/******* contingent... :D

So people that support GM are ********? Dam dude, you are way past dumb. :hehe

Toyota knows what up, but GM wont go under. If they drop this union working man crap they can start turning protifs today...(actually they did this last 1/4.)

Dam greedy union employess make me sick..high school graduates making 70k/benifits/health/life insurance....... to screw on a door!!!.And they still want more....GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! I hope GM dumps these house poor 10k in credit card debt having ass ponys an thier asses.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
blackzc said:

what, are YOU stupid?

you're the one stereotyping ALL PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT GM are ********...

i wasn't generalizing, moron...

oh...
so you like hondas, so YOU must be a RICEBOY???
does that make sense to you?

i bet you have angel eye headlights and eurotails, don't you?

no...
i was simply asking, in a humorous way, how a CERTAIN GROUP of people may have reacted to the news...

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
i'm surprised nothing has come of this before, what with toyota and gm collaborations in the past (eg: toyota matrix/pontiac vibe, toyota cavalier (jdm), toyota corolla/geo prism)...

even honda has collaborated with gm in the past (saturn vue redline)...

it's out of nowhere that nissan/renault came into play...
though, it does make sense, what with carlos goshn in charge of both nissan and renault...

the guy is to japan what george washington is to the usa because of what he was able to do with nissan (as reported on a segment i saw a couple of years ago on the nightly japanese news).

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
blackzc said:

Toyota knows what up, but GM wont go under. If they drop this union working man crap they can start turning protifs today...(actually they did this last 1/4.)

Dam greedy union employess make me sick..high school graduates making 70k/benifits/health/life insurance....... to screw on a door!!!.And they still want more....GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! I hope GM dumps these house poor 10k in credit card debt having ass ponys an thier asses.
if it was only that simple. the GM is bonded to the UAW workers by contract which is harder to decipher than chinese algebra. if they do just default on the contract then GM is bound for a helluva legal battle which would further drain its funds. But I agree that there is no way in hell a high school grad should make upper middle class income doing simple shit like installing plastic trim in a Chevy. American companies need to drop the UAW like a bad habit. UAW is bad for business, bad for GM/Ford, bad for the auto industry.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Toyota is just sitting on the sidelines being a 'spectator' as stated by Toyota North America chief Mr. Press. Toyota has more things to worry about than a GM/Nissan/Renault alliance like rising gas prices, rising rate of recalls, size of recalls and most importantly Hyuandai

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.