Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

News originally posted at AutoCar UK
----------------------------------------------------------------

Toyota is planning a high-output hybrid supercar that could be on sale by 2007. The flagship Toyota would be the first production supercar with hybrid power, offering high performance with a low environmental impact.

‘If we do a supercar, we don’t want to copy everyone else,’ said Thierry Dombreval, marketing boss for Toyota Motor Europe. ‘With hybrid power we could mix high performance with green credentials.’

At this year’s Geneva Motor Show Italdesign showed the Alessandro Volta (above), a 402bhp
3.3-litre V6 hybrid supercar, with a claimed 155mph top speed, 0-62mph in 4.1sec and 38mpg. It was developed with Toyota.

Although the Volta is not a running prototype, Toyota Motor Europe’s research and development boss Kazuhiko Miyadera said he has driven the company’s high-performance hybrid test car. ‘Because of the steep torque curve of an electric motor, the acceleration is very good. It’s very quick,’ he said.

Toyota is exploring its first supercar to take advantage of its involvement in F1 and to keep up with arch-rival Nissan, which will unveil a 400bhp Skyline GT-R at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show. Toyota will also steal a march on Honda, which has canned an NSX replacement (right) in favour of a Porsche Boxster rival, still several years off.

‘A hybrid supercar is just right for Toyota. It is something different and fits our brand,’ said Dombreval. ‘We are leaders in hybrid technology and we could exploit it in this new way.’

But Toyota has to overcome the resistance of supercar buyers, who judge their purchases on factors such as engine size, badge credibility and racing heritage, as well as performance. ‘We don’t think this should be a problem. We could offer something new and different that also has strong performance and is green,’ said Dombreval.

Significantly, because of the size of their markets, both Toyota in the US and Japan are understood to be behind the idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The performance sounds amazing, but the article says nothing about projected cost. Just think; an economical Hybrid supercar?! Sounds to good to be true.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
eh, not for me... i like to hear a nice exhaust note in a supercar, not the whine of electric motors...

hybrids are great for around town and beaters... but not really supercar stuff...

why not just use an alternate fuel, like ethanol, which burns cleaner, produces more power, and can be produced domestically in the US of A?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
hobie237 said:
eh, not for me... i like to hear a nice exhaust note in a supercar, not the whine of electric motors...

hybrids are great for around town and beaters... but not really supercar stuff...

why not just use an alternate fuel, like ethanol, which burns cleaner, produces more power, and can be produced domestically in the US of A?
well super cars has bad MPG in the city but this super car can kick the rest of the gasoline powered super car in the city.. heehhee

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
hobie237 said:
who is going to drive a supercar in the city? i mean really... dirt, accidents, acid rain, etc...
perfect place to show your ride son...get alot of attention... place to show off. if u go to suburb or moondog area the only thing that gonna check yer ride is just the crossing dear, cow aka roadkill.

Reactions: outterspace

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
hobie237 said:
great place to get it stolen too
ahahaha like ofcourse u gotta give those carjackers someting to do lol and the cop they gotta do someting for their donut.. and last and not least the insurance agent like come on we pay so much money and where all those money goes to? ahahahaha daymn i love the city so many things happen all at once

Reactions: hobie237

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
dodolaje said:
ahahaha like ofcourse u gotta give those carjackers someting to do lol and the cop they gotta do someting for their donut.. and last and not least the insurance agent like come on we pay so much money and where all those money goes to? ahahahaha daymn i love the city so many things happen all at once

i dunno man, i'm just not a city guy...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
hobie237 said:
i dunno man, i'm just not a city guy...
well i am not a city guy myself but when you are young u gotta try everything live in NYC once but not too long or it gonna turn you hard,sour,etc

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
dodolaje said:
well i am not a city guy myself but when you are young u gotta try everything live in NYC once but not too long or it gonna turn you hard,sour,etc

no thanks, my gf is from north jersey and we go to the city every once in a while,,, and that is enough for me...lol

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I applaud Toyota for setting the industry benchmark with Hybrids and Hybrid tech, but they're in over their heads. A hybrid supercar?

Looking at the prototpe
- 402hp was impressive for a supercar 5-15 years ago. Today 450 is the bare minimum.
- 155mph topspeed? If it's unlimited/ungoverned, that would be a bit pathetic. Is the electric motor not as efficient at highspeeds? Come on, a 290hp NSX was good for around 170mph, and even my old 305hp z28 was good for around 160-162mph stock. If it's limited to 155, understandable, but the fact that it isn't even a running prototype has me thinking it isn't.
- The extra electric motor, the batteries, and the supporting hardware all add weight which will hurt performance when compared to a conventional engine.
- It'll be expensive. As a Toyota, i don't know if they can get away with charging more for a supercar. Ferrari can get away, but i doubt Toyota can. Toyota, Ford, Honda, etc... the only way they can successfully complete against the likes of Ferrari is by offering consumers more performance for their buck.

And the most important reason why i think this is stupid, i just don't see how someone making deep six figures will care much about the fuel economy of their supercar... the one they'll drive 5 miles every other weekend :rolleyes. Somehow, fuel economy doesn't rate that high when it comes to their priorities in a supercar. It's no daily driver either. I don't remember the last time someone compared the fuel economy of a Lambo vs a Ferrari when cross-shopping them or paid attention to the single digit city figures when picking which supercar to go with. They don't give a damn about fuel economy.

But hey, Toyota seems to have tons of money to toss around and waste i guess:). Only good i see coming from this is the possibility of this supecars technology trickeling down to the regular Hybrid cars and this supercar serving as a test-bed. Only good that can come from this. But why not keep it as a prototype and in-house test-bed and give us a real production supercar like a 450+hp Supra TT.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
5.0 said:
I applaud Toyota for setting the industry benchmark with Hybrids and Hybrid tech, but they're in over their heads. A hybrid supercar?

Looking at the prototpe
- 402hp was impressive for a supercar 5-15 years ago. Today 450 is the bare minimum.
- 155mph topspeed? If it's unlimited/ungoverned, that would be a bit pathetic. Is the electric motor not as efficient at highspeeds? Come on, a 290hp NSX was good for around 170mph, and even my old 305hp z28 was good for around 160-162mph stock. If it's limited to 155, understandable, but the fact that it isn't even a running prototype has me thinking it isn't.
- The extra electric motor, the batteries, and the supporting hardware all add weight.
- It'll be relatively expensive. As a Toyota, i don't know if they can get away with charging more for a supercar. Ferrari can get away, but i doubt Toyota can.

And the most important reason why i think this is stupid, i don't someone making deep six figures will care much about the fuel economy of their supercar. The one they'll drive every other weekend :rolleyes. Somehow, fuel economy doesn't rate that high when it comes to their priorities in a supercar. I don't remember the last time someone compared the fuel economy of a Lambo vs a Ferrari paid attention to the single digit city figures when picking which supercar to go with. They don't give a damn about fuel economy.

But hey, they've got tons of money to toss around and waste i guess:). Only good i see coming from this is the possibility of this supecars technology trickeling down to the regular Hybrid cars and this supercar serving as a test-bed. Only good that can come from this.

exactly what i was trying to say... it makes sense to want fuel economy in a daily driver, but not a toy... and yes, electric motors suck at high speeds... their peak torque is at 0rpm, and it only goes down from there...

also, they would require massive amounts of juice, because demanding speed for acceleration kills batteries real quick...

its a good concept to put out to show what the company is capable of, but not something that can be marketed well...

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Ok there is a limit to hybrid technology, Toyota just crossed it. Of all the supercars in the world, how often do people drive them? They're definitely not 99% of owner's daily drivers. They're weekend cars or occasional cars to cruise in. Damn what a dumb idea.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
spray004 said:
Ok there is a limit to hybrid technology, Toyota just crossed it. Of all the supercars in the world, how often do people drive them? They're definitely not 99% of owner's daily drivers. They're weekend cars or occasional cars to cruise in. Damn what a dumb idea.
some ppl drive their NSX as their daily driver. NSX is one of the most driver friendly supercars.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
dodolaje said:
some ppl drive their NSX as their daily driver. NSX is one of the most driver friendly supercars.
The NSX was a supercar when it was first introduced. To call the NSX a supercar in today's supercar market would be like calling the Pontiac Aztec a sexy automobile.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
spray004 said:
The NSX was a supercar when it was first introduced. To call the NSX a supercar in today's supercar market would be like calling the Pontiac Aztec a sexy automobile.
and how bout those porsche drivers? they do drive their old porsche what do u call them? hahaha NSX still sexier than some new super cars.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
dodolaje said:
and how bout those porsche drivers? they do drive their old porsche what do u call them? hahaha NSX still sexier than some new super cars.
I call certain old Porsches, Ferraris, etc classics. They were supercars of their day, but not in today's standards.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.