Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota prices Camry hybrid $5,000 below Honda model

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:28 AM ET

TOKYO, March 28 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) has priced its new Camry hybrid -- a gasoline-electric version of America's most popular car -- at $25,900, around $5,000 cheaper than rival Honda Motor Co.'s (7267.T: Quote, Profile, Research) Accord hybrid.

A direct comparison is difficult because the cars have different engine sizes and standard features, but the gasoline version of the Camry and Accord sedans compete in the same segment.

Both Japanese auto makers, which lead the industry in the advanced fuel-efficient powertrain, are aiming to reduce the cost of hybrid systems to limit the premium consumers pay to around $2,000.

A comparable version of the gasoline-only Camry sells for $20,500.

The 2007 model year Camry hybrid has a 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine yielding 187 horsepower combined with the electric motor. The 2006 Accord hybrid, which starts at $30,990, is more powerful, producing a combined 253 hp with its 3.0-litre V6 engine.

The Japan-built Camry hybrid goes on sale in the United States in May, and will be followed by a local version scheduled to be produced in Kentucky from October. Toyota has targeted sales of about 30,000 Camry hybrids this year.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
this will be very leading for many of the dumb consumers out there who dont bother to do a little research before buying.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
DAFeLUNG said:
this will be very leading for many of the dumb consumers out there who dont bother to do a little research before buying.
No joke, the headline is very misleading. The non-hybrid version of the Accord V6 is already $27,300... yeah no shit the 4-cyl Camry Hybrid is cheaper. Maybe they should place more emphasis on the fact that the Camry Hybrid costs $5,400 more than the Camry I-4 it's based on, while the Accord only costs $3,600 more than the Accord V6 it's based on.

Journalists really piss me off sometimes. In fact I'm gonna see if I can write an e-mail/letter to this one... very misleading.

·
Registered
593 Posts
flyracerx said:
and toyota strikes again :rolleyes

sometimes you wonder who the real chinese manufacturer is.
what the fuck is that suppossed to mean. That kinda stuff is what really pisses me off.

:bomb

Do some research before posting.

The two are not even completing in the same segment.

The Accord Hybrid is more about power.

The Toyota Hybrid is more about gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
accordjtstyle said:
what the fuck is that suppossed to mean. That kinda stuff is what really pisses me off.

:bomb

Do some research before posting.

The two are not even completing in the same segment.

The Accord Hybrid is more about power.

The Toyota Hybrid is more about gas mileage.
and what regular person, who hasn't been blessed with vast knowledge about cars and segment marketing, will think that?

what will most think of or see?

Accord vs. Camry.. therefore, Accord Hybrid vs. Camry Hybrid. hmm.. what to pick.. OH i know! the one that costs 5 grand less! where's your competitive segment there?

funny you mention research because when it comes to shit like this, research can only take you so far until you have to start using common sense as a consumer. same amount of room, same reliability, what do i need the v6 for if hybrids are heavily advertised as green machine, gas savers? i'll save 5 grand AND help the planet more by not getting a v6! besides, it's not like the accord hybrid is selling too hot anyway. i've seen 2 on the road since they came out and this'll probably just kill it even more.

and if you really have to go into it, i4 accord and v6 accord, same with i4 camry and v6 camry, which sells more in their respective brands (haven't looked at official numbers, but based on general everyday witnessing)? that's why the headline is misleading. yeah it's priced lower, but why? and will people really care about the extra two cylinders?

i know it's all about fun, games, and marketing, but if you have to ask why i don't respect toyota these days, go to www.kbb.com - go to used cars, place the year to 2000, select honda, view insight. after that, switch the make to toyota, and select prius.. oh wait you can't. that's right.. they came out a year after honda put theirs out, but honda gets trampled over because toyota's just bigger and better at pr.

i'm not here to start an argument. i just don't understand why the writer had to compare the two cars right on the headline..

i feel i'll get flamed for this. :cry

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I think it was revealed earlier that honda considers the hybrid accord its top of the line model in the accord family, are you going to make the flagship model have LESS power than the one below it? Hence the V6.

The camry's flagship model is the XLE-V6 with a detuned version of the same engine as the avalon, which still has more power AND torque than the accord hybrid's, all for a base price that's 3 grand LESS.

Now given the choice I would choose the accord, but I can't argue with toyota's approach, nore its advantages over the accord.

·
Registered
972 Posts
White98LS said:
Journalists really piss me off sometimes. In fact I'm gonna see if I can write an e-mail/letter to this one... very misleading.
Well, not to be disrespectful to other journalist out there, as I am one too... Run of the mill journalist mostly are people with little knowledge of their respective coverage. Their main function is to write a report based on press release or write a report based on experience only. In my country, the unveiling of Toyota Yaris got the most heated media coverage ever, period... With lots of misleading content. One example, on one national (most read) newspaper, it is said that Toyota Yaris is the safest compact mini car on sale today because it features ABS, airbag, yadda-yadda. The most expensive trim yes... But the entry level models aren't equipped with it and the newspaper article mention nothing about it. Most people I asked acknowledge that Yaris has active safety even on the cheapest trim... I don't know if the article is misleading or the people I interviewed are stupid... But I have to blame the newspaper article more so than the people I interviewed because they are misinformed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
accord hybrid is market for more power and more gas milage (as stated on their own freakign website)

camry hybrid is just for "eh" power and Holy shit the gas milage.

so the name may be competing, but the cars do not. This new camry hybrid is more of a 06 Civic Hybrid. LMAO.

·
Registered
205 Posts
noopie said:
Hybrid no good at saving money. Its an illusion.
yea, I want to see the new SAE rating kick in where the idiots who buy hybrid find out that their cars don;t save as much gas as they thought. Over the year, I doubt the extra money you spent on your camry will pay for itself at the pump :rolleyes

the only true hybrid is the insignht in my opinion.

and if you want to save your money at the pump, don;t go to the pump, buy a civic GX ;) only availiable in CA by the way

http://cars.ign.com/articles/606/606606p1.html

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
flyracerx said:
i know it's all about fun, games, and marketing, but if you have to ask why i don't respect toyota these days, go to www.kbb.com - go to used cars, place the year to 2000, select honda, view insight. after that, switch the make to toyota, and select prius.. oh wait you can't. that's right.. they came out a year after honda put theirs out, but honda gets trampled over because toyota's just bigger and better at pr.

BUT WAIT........

Actually, Honda copied Toyota, the Prius was released in 1997 in Japan but didn't hit the USA until 2000. The Insight didn't go on sale anywhere until 1999.

As for all the Toyota bashing in this thread, you fanboys can cry me a river :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

:sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep

·
Registered
593 Posts
flyracerx said:
oh wait you can't. that's right.. they came out a year after honda put theirs out, but honda gets trampled over because toyota's just bigger and better at pr.
Uhm, Japan had the Prius for years before we had the Insight. And they had intended to bring the Prius over to America before the Insight, but Honda cheated and lied about release dates and manipulated the press/media and brought it over first. Honda is the copycat, not toyota. Toyota had the technology before Honda.

flyracerx said:
i'm not here to start an argument. i just don't understand why the writer had to compare the two cars right on the headline..
I agree with you on that.

Also, most people will do moderate research, at least enough so they at least look at the EPA estimates. At that point, they will realize whats going on.

Camry hybrid is a 4cyl based hybrid thats all about getting better gas mileage while sacrificing mild performance.
Accord hybrid is a 6cyl based hybrid that delivers improved performance while barely increasing gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
from a hybrid standpoint, i would take the camry over the accord anyday...40mpg in the city?? thats pretty daym good compared to 25mpg city for accord... this is a CITY comparison that i'm making btw, since i'm sure MOST people drive around in the city and not the highway as much...

hybridcars.com says its got up to 192 ponies and i'm sure for most "older" folks who could could give a rats ass about doing the quarter mile in 12 seconds, that is plenty of passing power...

i don't know about you, but thats an extra 15 more mpg over the accord, screw the power argument, isn't this what hybrid is suppose to do? give you a boost in your mpg?

too bad i'd never buy one cus the new camrys are ugly as hell while the accord got a nice butt lift...

no only that but why spend $25K on a new car when you can go to the dealer, buy a 04 camry with 30K on it for $14K? basicly nice as new, save yourself a shitload of money, still 33/24mpg...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Umm, I *think* Honda and Toyota were developing the Insight and Prius at the SAME TIME... just because one came out after another doesn't make it a copycat. Besides, the Honda and Toyota systems work in very different ways, and those two are completely different cars.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
White98LS said:
Umm, I *think* Honda and Toyota were developing the Insight and Prius at the SAME TIME... just because one came out after another doesn't make it a copycat. Besides, the Honda and Toyota systems work in very different ways, and those two are completely different cars.
I agree, simply look at the names:

Hybrid Synergy DRIVE

Integrated Motor ASSIST

The toyota system has the capabiltiy to DRIVE the car under two seperate forms of propulsion as well as assist in acceleration.

The honda system simply ASSISTS the conventional motor in providing power, allowing honda tune the exsisting engine for maximum fuel milage without sacrificing overall performance.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts