Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Is this an original unmodified throttle body? If so, then probably time for a new tps. First off, the TPS is a potentiometer. You can google for info on how potentiometers work. You need to do the following :

- Get several feet of wire. At least 6ft to make life easy. Cut them into 6 1' pieces and strip the ends. Now twist 2 pieces of wire together. So now you have 3 2' wires with the ends stripped and a stripped spot in the middle.
- There are 3 wires/pins for the tps sensor. 2 outside wires are ground and 5v source. Middle wire is the return voltage on the tps.
- Remove the throttle body, and connect your new spliced wires to the pins on the tps sensor on the throttle body and the pins on the wiring harness.
- Now connect your multimeter to the 2 outside wires (easiest to do this at the stripped points in the middle of the wires). This will also show you which wire is ground and wich is 5v.
- Turn the ignition to on (but do not start the car).
- Verify that you have 5v going to the tps.
- Now connect the multimeter to ground and the middle wire to measure tps voltage.
- TPS sensor is held in place by 2 screws. Open the throttle rotor to WOT and keep rotating the sensor until you get the output shown on the multimeter to 4.5v.
- Tighten tps sensor down & adjust idle setting screw shown in the pic below. Adjust this until the idle reading on the tps is about 0.48-0.49v.
- Now double check that WOT & idle tps readings are correct and put it all back together.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kommon, I was told this may be what is causing my low end problem and the TB is the stock one on the D15B but I did replace the TPS while doing the swap

·
Registered
3 Posts
so idle is calibrated by adjusting idle like the way when the car is on? once adjusted WOT by measuring the middle wire, car off, gas pedal down (wot), ?

http://hondaswap.com/~pills/obd1guide.html

this website also shows how to calibrate tps, he also says calibrate wot, tighten tps, and than calibrate idle, cant calibrate idle by moving tps when its tightend.. just not sure how to do it

·
Registered
3 Posts
im just confused, ive read some other forums on how to do this and now im confused,

the one above said, measure the middle wire, turn TPS once is right volt, and tie it down, but if i tie that down how will i measure idle than? ovbiosly i dont twist the tps anymore, so its the normal idle that i have to adjust and measure midle wire while i do it

..i was just going to stripe a little wire on all 3 wires coming from tps and have a friend help me through this process if this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
AyAy Sir! thats all i wanted to know, wot is calibrated by twisting the TPS and measuring the middle wire with voltmeter =) and idle is measured well ^^^^ like you said! thanks a bunch, i just like to clarify before i go deeper =) thanks!

lol one more confirm please

while im still measuring the middle wire of the TPS and adjusting the idle stop adjustment screw the volt will change?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is this an original unmodified throttle body? If so, then probably time for a new tps. First off, the TPS is a potentiometer. You can google for info on how potentiometers work. You need to do the following :

- Get several feet of wire. At least 6ft to make life easy. Cut them into 6 1' pieces and strip the ends. Now twist 2 pieces of wire together. So now you have 3 2' wires with the ends stripped and a stripped spot in the middle.
- There are 3 wires/pins for the tps sensor. 2 outside wires are ground and 5v source. Middle wire is the return voltage on the tps.
- Remove the throttle body, and connect your new spliced wires to the pins on the tps sensor on the throttle body and the pins on the wiring harness.
- Now connect your multimeter to the 2 outside wires (easiest to do this at the stripped points in the middle of the wires). This will also show you which wire is ground and wich is 5v.
- Turn the ignition to on (but do not start the car).
- Verify that you have 5v going to the tps.
- Now connect the multimeter to ground and the middle wire to measure tps voltage.
- TPS sensor is held in place by 2 screws. Open the throttle rotor to WOT and keep rotating the sensor until you get the output shown on the multimeter to 4.5v.
- Tighten tps sensor down & adjust idle setting screw shown in the pic below. Adjust this until the idle reading on the tps is about 0.48-0.49v.
- Now double check that WOT & idle tps readings are correct and put it all back together.

great help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I am new to this forum and a fairly new accord owner. I have a used 05 accord that came with a blox sensor (didn't know until I got the P0122 CEL).

Was testing the wiring before I test the sensor itself.
Yel/Blu to +ve of multimeter and battery ground to -ve: +5V steady.
Grn/Yel to +ve of multimeter and battery ground to -ve: only a 0.04V

From all the comments I have read so far, it should have been approx 0.5V.
Is there anything else I should do to confirm something wrong with the wiring. What steps should I take to diagonse it further or should I get the wiring changed. Also, how do I test the blox tps sensor separately. I did read the first thread that talks about adding wires between the sensor and the wiring and testing it that way. I will definitely try that also.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts