Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best tranny fluid for ITR?

I recently changed the clutch in my car and was wondering what your thoughts were on the best tranny fluid to use. I have heard people say they liked Redline MTL a lot and I also heard someone say they used BG Syncroshift. I was wondering what your recommendations are and where I can pick it up from? Also what is the recommended weight of the oil I should use and do I need to use a LSD specific fluid? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
502 Posts
Unless you're having shifting problems, I would suggest that you stick with Honda MTF. I can't think of any time I have heard of it causing problems, unlike the stories you hear every now and then about Redline. Many people use 5W30 or 10W30 motor oil, sometimes at the recommendation of the dealer (!), but I would stay away from that if I could help it.

I haven't heard many bad things about BG Syncroshift, and I know that some people have had good luck with it (as well as Redline) when they developed syncro problems and grinding gears. However, if you don't have any problems, I would still stick with Honda MTF.

I have heard that it can be difficult to find at Honda dealers, and easier to find at Acura dealers. Don't ask me why. The dealer here is a combo H/A dealer, so they have it.

· Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ITR#231. I'm not having any shifting problems, I just was wondering what you recommend, and I have thought about just using Honda MTF, from the dealer, and still might, but just in case I decide to go with BG Syncroshift, do you know where I could get it from? Thanks again for your suggestion.

· Registered
5 Posts
MTF

Hi,

I've also changed the clutch on my ITR
and using a different fluid to the std honda one.
The original honda mTF is a GL4, which is good but heats up after hard driving.
So I've changed to MOTUL MTF GL5. Its great.
I used redline before as well for a while but that also cooks after a while.
However I do know that they use that redline fluid to race in the USA and they haven't blown any gear box yet.

Basically if u drive ur ITR hard (like its sp'sed to be) you should change the MTF fluid every 15000KM. Honda reccomends a change every yr.

· Registered
5 Posts
For a car driven normally the fluid is good for alot of milage (60K)
but if ur gonna do alot of gear changing and always driving hard.
its not worth risking damaging ur syncros etc.

I like to look after my car well so maintain it as needed.
For example Honda reccomends oil change every 10000kms but I always change mine after every 5000kms.

Regards
David

· Registered
24 Posts
Reparation on gear box is a hell lot of money

if you want to avoid that use genuine Honda MTF!

Honda knows very well why they put it in the car. Of course they are clear about buyers intention to push the car hard and the mechanics have enough knowledge to calculate what is or what isn't overheating at what condition.

So if you want to spend extra money on your car spend it for something else other than "extra" gear box liqui or you will when it must be repared

Z

· Registered
5 Posts
1.Reparation on gear box is a hell lot of money

Yes, Indeed. The las thing you want is to get your syncros machined or worse- gear box replaced. Big $$$ there!!

2.if you want to avoid that use genuine Honda MTF!

Im sure the Honda MTF is good to a certain extent. However if you are going to modify your car etc. I don't see how changing to a better MTF fluid would hurt your car. Especially if you are driving it the way its meant to be. If you baby your car, sure the Honda MTF Fluid is good for over a year. But if your gonna race your car or give it hard work outs, then I'd reccomend you change the MTF Fluid. I Know several pple that have changed their engine oil, brake fluid and MTF from OEM Honda and they say they are better off with the new fluid. But Im sure this is not always the case.

So, you have to find what is the best for your individual needs, driving style etc.

3. Honda knows very well why they put it in the car. Of course they are clear about buyers intention to push the car hard and the mechanics have enough knowledge to calculate what is or what isn't overheating at what condition.

So if you want to spend extra money on your car spend it for something else other than "extra" gear box liqui or you will when it must be repared

Im sure Honda knows the car better than anyone. But Im sure the mechanic, suspension, oil, fluids etc can be bettered. Remember Honda has to meet strict design regulations and other safety standards to be able to sell their cars, so Im sure that my mechanic can alyways better the car for my driving style.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.