Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TRANNY COLLAPSE>>?????

okay guys, my 98 ludes tranny (ss) is messed up.. i don't know if its the tranny for sure, but im about 95% positive it is..

when im in reverse, the car almost like.. hmm how do i say this - it feels like the car is pretty much shaking as im reversing..

and when im driving regularly, rite before it goes from 2nd to 3rd gear its almost like the car doesn't want to go into 3rd so it lingers in 2nd for like a second before it actually switches..

the only time it doesn't do that is when im in SS mode, then everything is okay..

what are some suggestions on what the hell i should do? i dont want to pay 1800 bux to rebuild the damn thing.. how much is a manual swap? and if i swap to a manual, will there any difference between mine and an actual 5 speed base..? any power losses?

and in general, am i losing any power through my transmission since its sorta messed up?

help!!

· Premium Member
15,402 Posts
i've heard about the "crappy SS trannies" all over the lude forum..and my bros impala was doing that..lingering thing...

i cant tell u wuts wrong..but i can say this..u do loose power through a tranny... i think like 3-5% hp loss to the wheels. our 5spd..are like half a second faster. and there is a big difference b/t the two..most people tell me it feels like V6 accelerating(5spd) and the SS just feels too much like a laggy 4cyl...(this is wut people said, so no flaming just help him out.)

umm..ur warranty is expired, unless u got the extended..hmm...i would get an estimate from a trannie shop..and see if he could give u a thought of wuts wrong..other then that its pretty hard to tell the problem unless someone here has experienced it..

sorry bro.
HOLLA OUT.

· Registered
4,212 Posts
Re: TRANNY COLLAPSE>>?????

NSX2G said:
okay guys, my 98 ludes tranny (ss) is messed up.. i don't know if its the tranny for sure, but im about 95% positive it is..

when im in reverse, the car almost like.. hmm how do i say this - it feels like the car is pretty much shaking as im reversing..

and when im driving regularly, rite before it goes from 2nd to 3rd gear its almost like the car doesn't want to go into 3rd so it lingers in 2nd for like a second before it actually switches..

the only time it doesn't do that is when im in SS mode, then everything is okay..

what are some suggestions on what the hell i should do? i dont want to pay 1800 bux to rebuild the damn thing.. how much is a manual swap? and if i swap to a manual, will there any difference between mine and an actual 5 speed base..? any power losses?

and in general, am i losing any power through my transmission since its sorta messed up?

help!!
Well if you say its alright in SS mode, then its not the tranny itself, its got to be the torque convertor, or the tranny control unit, shift linkage, vss, or some other sensor.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well im also now noticing that the car lingers a hell of a lot in low rpms, especially in reverse AND coming out of 1st...

i don't know how to describe lingering.. it almost feels as if the car is about to stall but doesn't??

any other ideas on what it mite buy besides the tranny?

· Registered
201 Posts
yah my SS tranny did that too..it went into neutral between shifts and then just slammed into gear. I was out of the warranty so i had to py $1800 to get it rebuilt..its working ok right now..i also put the tranny cooler in as well. hope everything works out for you.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: sell you mine

runyun said:
i may be doing a swap within the month
interested?
off a 00 base.. i hardly use the SS .. car's stock
41k miles
just think about it, why would i get another SS tranny that will probably go out on me.. thanks but not thanks..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.