Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a 92 prelude si with h23 and aweful auto trans. Anyways I have had the car over a year and has been working great until just recently anytime I drive it after about 20 minutes I pretty much loose 3rd gear, like I can get it to go if the car is over 4k rpm when it shifts into third and let up on the gas, then it shifts but if I dont reach 4k in second or dont let up on the gas right as its shifting then I get nothing, no gear whatsoever and it will let it just redline if I punch it, fluid level is fine and just changed the lock up solenoids and still isnt working, and I know I need to just do a swap however I dont have atleast a grand in my pocket so I would like to get the auto fixed for now any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, after a week or so of being completely stumped I had totally forgotten there was the diagnoisis plug behind the radio, so I jumped it and my d4 gave me a code 15 which I believe is the mainshaft speed sensor or n/m speed sensor, so after a ton of digging it seems that could be my culprit and also a well overdue trans change but anyways does anybody know the best place to buy one I really am not looking forward to spending over $100 on this sensor I mean its easy enough to get to and I dont mind spending the money I just want to be sure that is going to be it before I dump more money into the car. So any suggestions on where I can buy it without having to go to the dealer and just open my wallet and pay extrordinary costs. Or even better yet has anyone had any experience with a similar issue and if that fixed it? Also if anybody has a transmission error chart to verify thats the correct issue would be excellent.
thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so changed the main shaft sensor I ended up getting a used one and still nothing fixed there is the possibility it's a bad sensor to start however I am completely stumped I'm going to take it in to Honda and I guess pay the cost to have it checked out any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so turns out the sensor is not bad I forgot to reset the tcu and clear the codes before going through diagnostics again. However Im still having the problem however there has to be an answer, one of the main things I have not done yet is changed the fluid, could that be my problem? I have never done a trans fluid change since I owned the car mainly because the fluid seems to be ok however it does have a slight burnt smell so I guess it is time to change. But could dirty atf really be causing me to not go into third but shift smooth in all the rest of the gears? Also how different is normal atf compared to honda atf I have heard thats all you sdhould put in is honda atf but dont know whats so different about it. Another reason I am thinking there is a possibility its the fluid is because at first when the shift and lock up solenoids were changed it worked great for about ten miles then started acting up again, is it possible dirty oil could of fouled the solenoids in that amount of time? And if it is the fluid I wonder if I will have to once again change the solenoids or if they will clean up and start working correctly once new fluid is there, but if that was the problem why would it only be affecting third gear, does third gear pull more fluid then the rest I dont know, If anybody has any comments feel free to share I see there has been alot of views but so far no comments other then me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts