Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to replace my transmission fluid since according to my dealership the transmission fluid is "dirty" after 20K. so i was wondering is there any other options out there besides the honda ATF fluid. Where can i get Redline Trans Fluid? which one do i get? also any other options? and how much do i need? thanx in advance.

· Registered
49 Posts
Hey lazy......

I change my transmission fluid every 15,000 miles. This is what my service manager recommended by Honda. The reason being is that when you change the fluid, only 3 quarts come out, not all of it. A usual tranny fluid change at the dealer is just that, 3 quarts out, 3 quarts in. Nothing more.

I do my own fluid change but slightly different. First, I replaced the Honda ATF with Redline "Racing" ATF (approx $7.00 a qt.) I drained and replaced the fluid one time, drove it around the block a few times, changed and replaced again, drove it again, and then did it one more time. Yes, it gets expensive, however considering how sensitive our trannies are, it is well worth it.

I now have just over 56,000 miles on the ride, no tranny probs, much quicker, solid shifting. I use the "Racing ATF" every time I change the fluid now.

Go here: http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/gearoil.htm to read about Redline Oils. You can call them and find out where the closest retailer is that sells it.

Hope that helps..

Oh, also, Honda/Acura adamately warns not to flush your transmission to replace the fluids. The reason, from what I'm told, is that when flushing it, the small, minute particles that settle at the bottom of the tranny housing get forced back into the mechanisms, which cause major problems later.

L8's

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.