Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
Joined
·
21,366 Posts
auto or manual? how many miles do you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,101 Posts
mad-ass said:
every oil change? no wai dude.
Yeah, I would say an automatic should get a flush about every 40-60k
And flushing is better than a filter change. When you flush you completely replace all the old fluid with new, when you change a fliter or just drain it you only replace about 4-5 quarts, most autos hold 10 or more quarts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,780 Posts
ATISTANG said:
Yeah, I would say an automatic should get a flush about every 40-60k
On any other automatic, yes. But have you had an automatic Accord?
And flushing is better than a filter change. When you flush you completely replace all the old fluid with new, when you change a fliter or just drain it you only replace about 4-5 quarts, most autos hold 10 or more quarts.
It costs about $80 for a flush unless you can find a bargain. If you fill it at every oil change, you're relplacing most of it every 5,000 miles and it is relatively cheap to do. The fluid is constantly being cycled. And I don't think it holds 10 quarts. My Accord held three quarts in the tranny itself and another quart in the lines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,101 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
On any other automatic, yes. But have you had an automatic Accord?

It costs about $80 for a flush unless you can find a bargain. If you fill it at every oil change, you're relplacing most of it every 5,000 miles and it is relatively cheap to do. The fluid is constantly being cycled. And I don't think it holds 10 quarts. My Accord held three quarts in the tranny itself and another quart in the lines.
The least amount I have ever seen an automatic hold was 6qts on a 91civic, I'm not saying yours holds 10 I'm saying that most of them are up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I'm a newbie, but have owned many honda's. DO NOT flush the tranny. This is unnecessary for any vehicle. Change the fluid and filter a few times, especially in a honda, but only with Honda ATF fluid. Do this about 3 times in a row, about the same time you get your oil changed. Maybe a little costly if you don't do it yourself, but it pays off for not having to replace a tranny. A Honda tech told me that 99 and older model accords have had tranny failer by flushing. Flushing with a machine is just replacing the tranny oil with the one that was already in it, just recycled.

And if you are a honda person, you would know that all accords and civics do not take at least 6 qts of tranny oil. They take 3 maybe 4, look at your manual. Mine takes 3.

I have flushed before and this has done nothing to my 97 accord. Many techs (if they are honest) will tell you not to flush. Hope this helps a little. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,396 Posts
webej551 said:
I'm a newbie, but have owned many honda's. DO NOT flush the tranny. This is unnecessary for any vehicle. Change the fluid and filter a few times, especially in a honda, but only with Honda ATF fluid. Do this about 3 times in a row, about the same time you get your oil changed. Maybe a little costly if you don't do it yourself, but it pays off for not having to replace a tranny. A Honda tech told me that 99 and older model accords have had tranny failer by flushing. Flushing with a machine is just replacing the tranny oil with the one that was already in it, just recycled.

And if you are a honda person, you would know that all accords and civics do not take at least 6 qts of tranny oil. They take 3 maybe 4, look at your manual. Mine takes 3.

I have flushed before and this has done nothing to my 97 accord. Many techs (if they are honest) will tell you not to flush. Hope this helps a little. :)
good theory.
but I got my tranny flush at 60k, and now it's at 85k no problem. no slips.[2002 honda accord lx sedan 4 cylc auto]

but yes, 6th gen accord tranny will die on you for no reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,101 Posts
webej551 said:
And if you are a honda person, you would know that all accords and civics do not take at least 6 qts of tranny oil. They take 3 maybe 4, look at your manual. Mine takes 3.
Ok cheif noob, I have a shop manual from honda that covers the crx, the auto matic holds something like 5.9qts, I don't think that is wrong. When you drop the pan and change the filter you don't get all the fluid out thats why your haynes manual tells you it will take 3-4 quarts to fill. If you have actually rebuilt one you would understand why, and if you where smarter than the pages you read that off of you would have probably seen it gives you two sets of numbers, one for a refill, and another for a rebuild.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,396 Posts
ATISTANG said:
Ok cheif noob, I have a shop manual from honda that covers the crx, the auto matic holds something like 5.9qts, I don't think that is wrong. When you drop the pan and change the filter you don't get all the fluid out thats why your haynes manual tells you it will take 3-4 quarts to fill. If you have actually rebuilt one you would understand why, and if you where smarter than the pages you read that off of you would have probably seen it gives you two sets of numbers, one for a refill, and another for a rebuild.
so you hate your stang? :lol

i joke.

but let's not call each other n00bs.
we are educating each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Sorry guys, didn't mean to get you in an uproar.

"Why? he called himself a newbie, I was just addressing him"

I am a mid 20's female. and i didn't think it was a bad thing to call myself a newbie.

I am not as mechanically inclined as most men, but i know more than most women. And sorry, i have never rebuilt an engine so i would not know that it takes 5.9 q. i just know when i get my tranny oil changed, they replace it with 3 qts. and the manual says 3-4 qts. Never had a problem with a change. Did have a problem with a flush. Felt no improvement whatsoever in the performance, actually ran worse. My accord is a 97 with a 123,000 miles, had it since it had 25,000 miles. i'm am just hear to learn more since i do love my honda and wouldn't have anything else. i am not hear to make false statements, I just post from experience in the performance of my car.

Didn't take any rude comments to heart. We all have our own opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
yeah he is younger. HA HA
 

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
Joined
·
21,366 Posts
i suggest you change your password and hide it from your boyfriend. we don't need his kind here. this is a car forum for enthusiasts by enthusiasts...we just happen own or to have owned hondas. there's no need for him to get his panties in a bunch :rolleyes
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top