Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

When i get my rpms above 6K, my car grinds when i shift from 2nd to 3rd (i can still shift w/out forcing it, but the grinding scares me) - i think it is the syncros.

How much does it cost to fix this problem and am i right in assuming it is the syncros?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
It's probably cheaper to just replace the tranny. Mine has been doing it for about 3 years now, but I just double clutch into 3rd and it's fine.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've never rebuilt a manual tranny, but I did a couple of auto ones a while ago, they were for Chevy Caprice's. I found those were pretty hard to do, and I've heard manuals are harder. So I don't know. I found that on Honda's that it's cheaper to R&R.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jai si said:
It's probably cheaper to just replace the tranny. Mine has been doing it for about 3 years now, but I just double clutch into 3rd and it's fine.
does double clutching affect your speed - i know it probably ownly takes a fraction of a second, but i am probably gonna start doing that if it will preserve my car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the double clutch thing today

its mint - no grinding at all.

I will just have to practice it so i can do it quicker and more fluently.

thanks a lot

·
Registered
22 Posts
change your mtf to a gm synchromesh! it gona cost you though! it's about 12-15 bucks a quart. it's will help you with the grind.

·
Registered
226 Posts
actually you can just use the penzoil version of it...i know a few guys running that and it's working just the same for them...

man, in canada, the gm stuff's only like 3-4bucks a quart american...sheesh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts