Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a rattling sound when the clutch is not pushed in. I can hear it when the car is stopped in neutral, and when I'm driving. When I push the clutch in, the sound is gone. I took it to Gear-Speed transmissions (who almost exclusively build B series trannys) and got some cranky receptionist bitch who wouldn't let me ask a tech. He said that it was the main shaft bearing, and they only sell it as a $225 kit, which includes the main shaft, which I don't need. I went to Acura and some idiot in the parts department, who looked like he was recovering from a hangover, told me it was the pilot bearing, then changed his mind and said it was the throwout bearing. Finally, I took it to Hook-Ups ImportTek and got what seemed to be the only honest answer, that there is no way of knowing what the problem is until I open up the tranny and have a looksey. I am planning on taking it apart during the weekend and into my spring break, and I will bring the parts to HookUps.

What I want to know is if any experienced mechancis know what the problem might be. If it is in the clutch, then it should be pretty obvious whether it is the throwout or pilot bearing. If you guys think it is in the transmission, then it is clear that it could be any of the bearings and I will need to buy a bearing kit.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BurntRubber87 said:
Its the throwout bearing, almost 100% positive. Change the clutch and throwout bearing while the tranny is out. why not?
I changed it last summer with a Pep Boys clutch, so the rest of the cltuch should be good. I'll just replace the bearing with a Honda one. Thanks for the help. So you're 100% sure that when the sound is made when the clutch is NOT pushed in, it's the throwout bearing?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Usually the throwout makes noise when you push the clutch in, but the way you described it, it sounds like it could only be the throwout bearing. It could be something else but i'm almost positive its the throwout. But who knows, weirder has happened.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BurntRubber87 said:
Usually the throwout makes noise when you push the clutch in, but the way you described it, it sounds like it could only be the throwout bearing. It could be something else but i'm almost positive its the throwout. But who knows, weirder has happened.
When I push the clutch pedal, there is no noise. That's why I was wondering.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
The other bearing is the pilot bearing in the flywheel, your mainshaft sits in it, That usually will also make noise when you push in the clutch if its bad, but they hardly ever go bad. I would say its your throw out bearing also, mine does the same thing but it is due to everything being so wore out that the throw out bearing rattles against the pressure plate fingers until you put pressure on it. Just replace the throw out and pilot bearings while you have it apart.

·
Registered
56 Posts
same thing happened to mine... its the input shaft bearing... you push the clutch in and the input shaft to the tranny stops turning thus noise stops... let the clutch out and the input shaft turns just as many rpms as the engine thus the noise is back... if it is the throw-out bearing then with the clutch in the noise will be present because the bearing is turning on the pressure plate... let the clutch out and the bearing stops turning thus no noise...

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
ATISTANG said:
The other bearing is the pilot bearing in the flywheel, your mainshaft sits in it, That usually will also make noise when you push in the clutch if its bad, but they hardly ever go bad. I would say its your throw out bearing also, mine does the same thing but it is due to everything being so wore out that the throw out bearing rattles against the pressure plate fingers until you put pressure on it. Just replace the throw out and pilot bearings while you have it apart.

Yeah, I couldnt remember the name since I had just woken up. Since we just changed my buddy's whole clutch assembly and all related bearings and whatnot while we were in there, it wasnt really an issue, but we could have saved him a lot of money if we had realized it was just a bad bearing...

·
Registered
719 Posts
DEFINATLY AN INPUT SHAFT BEARING....change your gear oil and see if there is plastic pieces to come out with the fluid ....i rebuilt my tranny for this reason....if you do not take care of it you will fu*k your shit up bad.....very common problem wit honda trannys the cage for the ball bearings is made of plastic (very stupid). i got the bearing from honda it was only thirty bucks.

Reactions: flyingtoaster

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
ek9wannabe said:
DEFINATLY AN INPUT SHAFT BEARING....change your gear oil and see if there is plastic pieces to come out with the fluid ....i rebuilt my tranny for this reason....if you do not take care of it you will fu*k your shit up bad.....very common problem wit honda trannys the cage for the ball bearings is made of plastic (very stupid). i got the bearing from honda it was only thirty bucks.

If that is what failed I would NOT recommend putting in another Honda (shit) bearing. There must be an aftermarket one that is metal...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ek9wannabe said:
Now this one is INSIDE the transmission, correct? Right now both axles are off and I hope to have the tranny on my workbench by tonight. If I have to open it up, I want to replace the synchronizers while I'm at it. I heard somewhere that the synchronizers wear alongside the part that they engage to. What do they engage with and is it realistic to replace them as well? Everyone has been really helpful so far.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
hey did you ever find out what did the trick because I have just replaced my clutch, clutch cover, throwout bearings, the bearing on the flywheel, the flywheel and it is STILL making that noise without the clutch in, but it is intermittent and it kind of went away....

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RichyRichaPC said:
hey did you ever find out what did the trick because I have just replaced my clutch, clutch cover, throwout bearings, the bearing on the flywheel, the flywheel and it is STILL making that noise without the clutch in, but it is intermittent and it kind of went away....
Did you tighten the flywheel bolts to the proper torque? Did you torque them evenly? If you are concerned, then remove the dust cover from the flywheel housing (the one bordering the oil pan). start the car, and check the flywheel for vibrations while it is spinning, using a screwdriver. It should be safe, but wear goggles and take all precautions to make sure you don't lose any fingers in the process! If it still makes the sound, then it might be a loose heat shield or worse, a the transmission mainshaft bearing. If you suspect a tranny bearing, then see the link I posted in this thread.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
When I push the clutch pedal, there is no noise. That's why I was wondering.

Hehe, I dont mean to laugh man, but I have been having that same problem for quite some time now. Sounds just like it is coming from the tranny, but you know what... I dont think that it is.. :) .. Check under your car and look at the muffler.. I am willing to bet that it is rattling... :D .. Crank up the car first, then check and get back to us... ;)

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ginyu6869 said:
Hehe, I dont mean to laugh man, but I have been having that same problem for quite some time now. Sounds just like it is coming from the tranny, but you know what... I dont think that it is.. :) .. Check under your car and look at the muffler.. I am willing to bet that it is rattling... :D .. Crank up the car first, then check and get back to us... ;)
I already fixed the problem and it was my main shaft bearing. This was obvious because like I said, the problem would go away when I pressed the clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts