Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a friend of mine's car to the track tonight, and noticed that her vtec wasn't kicking in at all, so I asked her about it and she said that she has been keeping up with the basic maintinence(sp?). She drives a 97 SS Lude with 69k miles. When i would give the car WOT it would accelerate really poorly in the upper rpms and hit fuel cutoff around 6800, she never drives the car hard but she said she remembers her car being able to rev to almost 8000, I don't know if this is true or not. With the car set in automatic it would hit the rev limiter at around 6800 and keep bouncing off of it, and wouldn't shift. I only held it for a second so I don't know if it would have shifted or not. In normal driving the car is fine, shifts smooth and runs smooths as can be. I got my ass handed to me by my friends 90 Accord sedan automatic that is totally stock, that's when I noticed all of this. I've never owned a vtec equipped Honda, so all input would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

· Registered
27 Posts
I have a auto VTEC lude and experienced the same problem last year. does the check engine light come on when VTEC should engage.

I figured out the cause and it was quite simple to fix. if you remove the cam cover and on the distributor side of the engine, I think between the 2 cams there is a small hole on the engine wall. Inside that hole is a sensor for the VTEC. It may be that that sensor is covered in crap and can't work. All I did was, using a syringe and cotton bud (Q tip) flush out the hole with clean oil. After that it worked perfectly and not problems since.

Nick

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Nick. The check engine light did come on the first time I floored it so I let off the gas, and the light never went off again last night. I'll take a look at it tonight, thanks again for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.