Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
NutromiX said:
So what happens when you don't have a Fast Idle Control Valve like with a Skunk2 Throttle Body! :D
Follow manufacturers instructions, this write up is for STOCK throttle bodies, which is what most people have.

How does it idle? if it idles fine then it must have other means for controlling idle during cold starts...

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
91Vtec said:
there should be no idle whats so ever right, even when its not hot?
You mean suction through the FITV hole? there should be suction while the engine is cold and NO suction when it's at normal operating temperature... There will always be suction through the IACV hole, otherwise the engine will stall.

A good way to think of it is like this:
While the throttle plate is completely closed
IAC is the "main" supply of idle air for the engine.
FIT is "temporary" to allow extra air while the engine is cold.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
define stall, in your terms, i know what it means but not sure how you are using that term.

My situation, not sure if it relates, i set my car to proper timing(94 Del Sol). the distributor is shifted all the way to the right. Last line on the cam lines up to cam cover. When i drive the car, it lags during start up ( about 1-3.3 RPM) then it "sometimes" runs well. When i set back the timing to the middle line of the 3 joined lines, it runs without lagging or delays.

COULD THAT BE A STALL?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
my point exactly, but the person at the REF, told me to put it on the line thats away from the others, he said that is where it should be, but when i do, the car runs like shit with wheels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bump for a great thread.

This guide to troubleshooting helped save me hundreds of dollars on a new IACV from honda.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
jcast said:
Can you please tell me what controls idling when air conditioning system is turned on on honda cars?
Technically it's the ECU. When turned on, the A/C signal wire 'tells' the ECU to let more air through the IACV...

·
Registered
8 Posts
help-thanks

Cautela said:
Technically it's the ECU. When turned on, the A/C signal wire 'tells' the ECU to let more air through the IACV...
.Ok, Is there a direct wire that comes from theA/C going directly to the ECU?
Its because when i turn on the A/C, my idle goes down and sometimes kills the engine when idling. It means something does not compensate for idling when i turn on the A/C. If my IACV is ok and is new, maybe the wire from A/C to ECU is cut. Is this possible? Thanks very much Cautela. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
tried this tonight

On my suspected-bad FIT valve, I was able to tighten the springloaded valve 2or3 full turns. I then tested the plunger with a lighter and watched it sloooooooowly expand. It didn't move very much though. Mine never closed as much as the picture indicated. Is that enough to assume that the FIT valve is indeed failing?

I'm having idle problems and the engine will completely bog down and stall when I open the throttle quickly: http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3009477#post3009477

Nice write-up, by the way.
jeremy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone can help me... I can't seem to locate the plunger (FITV) valve. I have a P73 Type R Manifold and it only has a IACV. And the IACV hole is located behind the throttle body flap in the plenum. I checked the IACV and the filter seems clean. There is a hose that goes to this part under the throttle body put it does not have the plate as mentioned by cautela dude?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Garyc17 said:
What about cases for idle being too high when the car comes to a stop at the lights?

Is this fast idle ?

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Sorry I haven't been replying to this lately, here we go...

jcast said:
.Ok, Is there a direct wire that comes from theA/C going directly to the ECU?
Its because when i turn on the A/C, my idle goes down and sometimes kills the engine when idling. It means something does not compensate for idling when i turn on the A/C. If my IACV is ok and is new, maybe the wire from A/C to ECU is cut. Is this possible? Thanks very much Cautela. :)
Yes there is a wire coming from the A/C controls, namely the "A/C signal" (A/C input) wire, look it up in my 'ECU pinouts' write up (check my sig) or better yet look up a diagram that's specific for your car to locate it. Your wire is not cut because if it was, nothing would happen when you turn on the A/C system. The only other thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the ECU... check your voltages/resistances on the A/C, fuel, and ignition systems with a multimeter when you do this to see if something is wrong, also check to make sure the alternator has the proper power output.

EDIT: something just occured to me, the A/C compressor has a clutch which is also ECU controlled... if there is something wrong with THAT it may be possible that the clutch stays engaged continuously, enough that it may stall the engine... just a possibility, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
jeremy93LS said:
On my suspected-bad FIT valve, I was able to tighten the springloaded valve 2or3 full turns. I then tested the plunger with a lighter and watched it sloooooooowly expand. It didn't move very much though. Mine never closed as much as the picture indicated. Is that enough to assume that the FIT valve is indeed failing?

I'm having idle problems and the engine will completely bog down and stall when I open the throttle quickly: http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3009477#post3009477

Nice write-up, by the way.
jeremy
I read the thread you made about your problem, someone already helped you solve the problem, ignition related ;) .

21 - 40 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.