Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Garyc17 said:
Anyone can help me... I can't seem to locate the plunger (FITV) valve. I have a P73 Type R Manifold and it only has a IACV. And the IACV hole is located behind the throttle body flap in the plenum. I checked the IACV and the filter seems clean. There is a hose that goes to this part under the throttle body put it does not have the plate as mentioned by cautela dude?
This may be due to your ECU needing retuning. Check on that first.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
96lude said:
Garyc17 said:
What about cases for idle being too high when the car comes to a stop at the lights?
Is this fast idle ?
It's high Idle, check the writeup to diagnose, but start with the idle air screw...

·
Registered
123 Posts
okay, sometimes i have high idle but sometimes I dont , Also a few time i have surging idle(when it was cooler out one night) Seems like the hotter it is the better it idles ? any comments/suggestions , I want my car to run perfect Any help is appreiated !
Also I have F22A :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Surging Idle - 1993 Honda Prelude VTEC

Every morning and after work (regardless of ambient temperature), I have surging idle until the engine comes up to operating temp (fan starts).

According to the shop manual, my FITV is failing (there is always suction from the port inside the throttle body). When my mechanic heard the surging this is also what he suggested replacing (for $377).

I already ordered a new FITV for $90 from Honda, but I'm going to try to clean the old one first.

Do you guys think this FITV is really causing the surging idle, or is this unrelated?

Is there anything else I should do while I have the FITV off (or that can be done in a short amount of time as long as I'm under the hood)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tried this - '93 Honda Prelude VTEC

Followed first part of guide. The white part around the valve was really loose. Tightened it as much as I could.

Idle surge at cold start is gone! Cost $0.

But I still have a little suction on the FITV port in the throttle body intake. Should this be entirely gone? How long should I wait for valve to close?

Kris

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
klwdallas said:
Followed first part of guide. The white part around the valve was really loose. Tightened it as much as I could.

Idle surge at cold start is gone! Cost $0.

But I still have a little suction on the FITV port in the throttle body intake. Should this be entirely gone? How long should I wait for valve to close?

Kris
A small amount of suction should be ok because it's not going to interfere with the IACV. If it isn't giving you problems then I wouldn't worry about it, my integra has a little suction from the FITV hole after it is warmed up too and it idles fine :tu

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, worked awesome for us

My sons B18 LS/VTEC R camed monster in the Civic was idleing really bad when cold. It would rev to 2500 and then almost stall and cycle between the two rapidly. I took off the plate from the FITV and the white plastic insert had totally backed out. I cleaned the inside with carb cleaner and screwed it back in. NOW = Smooth idle cold or hot @ 800 for 0 $$. The Air/ Fuel meter now reads right on, not lean or rich. Totally awesome advice, pictures and website.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
nice write up and pics, but when setting the base idle it must be set at 450 +/- 50 rpm with the purge control valve disconnected (and iacv disconnected, as you mentioned)

·
Registered
9 Posts
idle probs as well.

sup guys, noobie here. got an idle prob as well, but i cant seem to find the FITV. is it in the same location on a 97 GSR? also when i covered the hole in the TB the rpms went down, good or bad?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
hema_f117 said:
Cautela said:
Part II

hi

i did clean the FITV and IVCA very well

now the bouncing RPM 1000 to 1500 is coming alwayes
before it was sometimes only

what should i do ?
Do a valve clearance check/adjustment...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tried everything

I'm stumped... ( 95 honda civic Lx 4 door 1.5 L)

I've tried everything on this guide and can't find anything that works, I even replaced the IAC valve and took apart the FIT twice adjusting it it only turned maybe one full turn it seemed to already be bottomed out.
I held the plunger under a lighter for about a minute and it seemed to work just fine expanding like it should...

the only other thing I hear it could be is the valves/lifters/lashing/rocker arms whatever you call them need to be adjusted... ( you would think the engine light would turn on...)

I am wondering if anyone else has any other ideas I tried to set my idle and it really won't let me, at first it would always go from 1,000 to 2,000 up and down up and down but now it goes from 1,000 to 1,500 just bouncing with maybe a half second pause in between.

Tried checking for codes and nothing showed up maybe I should just take it to the dealer and see what they say? really don't want to have to pay the big bucks but I don't want this reoccurring problem to hurt my engine, I'll hold out for a couple days and see if anyone knows anything else that it might be???

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
cowlag said:
I'm stumped... ( 95 honda civic Lx 4 door 1.5 L)

I've tried everything on this guide and can't find anything that works, I even replaced the IAC valve and took apart the FIT twice adjusting it it only turned maybe one full turn it seemed to already be bottomed out.
I held the plunger under a lighter for about a minute and it seemed to work just fine expanding like it should...

the only other thing I hear it could be is the valves/lifters/lashing/rocker arms whatever you call them need to be adjusted... ( you would think the engine light would turn on...)

I am wondering if anyone else has any other ideas I tried to set my idle and it really won't let me, at first it would always go from 1,000 to 2,000 up and down up and down but now it goes from 1,000 to 1,500 just bouncing with maybe a half second pause in between.

Tried checking for codes and nothing showed up maybe I should just take it to the dealer and see what they say? really don't want to have to pay the big bucks but I don't want this reoccurring problem to hurt my engine, I'll hold out for a couple days and see if anyone knows anything else that it might be???
Don't take it to the dealer unless you like to spend unnecessary amounts of money, they'll probably replace a whole system in the engine just to get rid of a simple problem (and charge you the highest price for it). That is unless it is under warranty, which I doubt a '95 model would be...

Take it to someone that knows how to adjust the valve clearance, or if you can do it yourself, it is relatively easy on the d-series engine. If you need the specs you can probably find them on this site. I'd go that route first...

·
Registered
4 Posts
alright I need the specs please

if you can find the specs that would be very much appreciated, I'm going to try adjusting the idle even though i'm not sure if it will adjust the same way

and then I will try checking the valve clearance to make sure it is within specs (when I find the specs that is), thank you!

41 - 60 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.