Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cautela- You are the deal! I just went out and followed your steps. Once my car got up to normal operating temp, I placed my finger over the hole for the FITV. There was a lot of suction. I kept my finger there just to see what would happen, and the car started idling perfectly. I even did a small dance out there. I have been hearing this high pitched suction noise ever since this problem arose, but everyone I spoke with said that was normal. It most certainly is NOT normal. I haven't had the chance to fix it yet as I am letting it cool down per your instructions. But I just wanted to say Thank you! You sir, are a life saver where this is concerned. I can't thank you enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great write up! I am having this same idle problem, once warmed up sitting in neutral just keeps going up and down. Drives ok. Its a 97 DX 5 speed. Doesn't have any CEL. I just got this car, have had a few accords but this is my first civic. As i understand it this year doesn't have a FITV right? When I unplug the IACV it idles down nice and throws up a CEL. Checked the 2 holes in the intake, one has very little suction but the other has a LOT. When i plug the one with a lot idle goes down and settles out. Giving that when I unplug the IACV it settles down does that mean that it is oK? Since i dont have the FITV what could it be? I did bleed the coolant and got some air out but that didn't seem to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed my idle problem. My 97 has what I think they call a rotary air control valve, a little different than the older IACV. The valve is in front of the throttle body. Took it apart and cleaned it, was a little crusty and wouldn't turn freely. Put back together and it now idles perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok i'm getting that fukd up idle till the car warms up then its fine so i pulled iac and cleaned it did all the steps for the fitv and now getting code 14 (iac) and my boost gage is at -20 psi so i looked and sprayed all lines no leaks but the fitv hole is not sucking at all and the iac 1 is sucking hard till warms up then normal .will the ecu make the iac work on start up if the fitv fails ,so not sure if i should get new iac or new fitv thanks for any help

·
Registered
195 Posts
so...great write up...however why does my TB only have one hole? It sucks the whole time. Mine car will start running rough with the AC on when the engine gets warm. Any ideas? I havent taken the FIT off yet. HOpefully soon. Hard to do when you are a single parent, with an 11 month old

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
so...great write up...however why does my TB only have one hole? It sucks the whole time. Mine car will start running rough with the AC on when the engine gets warm. Any ideas? I havent taken the FIT off yet. HOpefully soon. Hard to do when you are a single parent, with an 11 month old
You probably have the Type-R IM, which does not use a FITV if I'm not mistaken. If the idle is rough after warm-up check the IACV, if it does it with the A/C on then check the the ECU for the signal from the A/C (see page 2).

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok i'm getting that fukd up idle till the car warms up then its fine so i pulled iac and cleaned it did all the steps for the fitv and now getting code 14 (iac) and my boost gage is at -20 psi so i looked and sprayed all lines no leaks but the fitv hole is not sucking at all and the iac 1 is sucking hard till warms up then normal .will the ecu make the iac work on start up if the fitv fails ,so not sure if i should get new iac or new fitv thanks for any help

·
Registered
1 Posts
probally the most informative write up I've ever had to use. Easy to understand and the pictures are a great help. I thought it was good enough to register to the site just to post a good job and thanks for getting my car idling right

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Check for vacuum leaks, especially on the turbo components...

81 - 100 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.