Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I swapped trunk lids with someone who has a prelude SH, also in milano red. He didn't want his spoiler and I didn't want to pay $300 for one so we did an even swap. I think why we swapped the entire lid is so he doesn't end up with holes and so i don't have to drill into mine. The only thing I didn't think about beforehand is opening the trunk with the key, my key now opens his trunk and his mine. I didn't look hard at it but is this something I can change easily? Another thing is his was an '01 and had the safety trunk release on the inside of the lid around the lock whereas mine didn't. Has anyone ever done this kind of exchange?

Also for anyone who got the OEM spoiler installed from the dealer does the weight of the spoiler make the trunk close on you a lot? When we did the swap, his trunk lid became really springy and opened up by itself where as mine did the opposite.

Last thing: after we agreed on the deal the spoiler got a fine crack down the lower middle part just right of the light. It didn't look too bad and since I wasn't paying anything I decided to go through with it anyways. Well I noticed driving the spoiler is always vibrating (really shaking up and down) so I ended up just trying to fill the crack with super glue. I don't know if it will hold but does anyone have any other suggestions on how to repair this?

·
Registered
866 Posts
RMAN456 said:
The other day I swapped trunk lids with someone who has a prelude SH, also in milano red. He didn't want his spoiler and I didn't want to pay $300 for one so we did an even swap. I think why we swapped the entire lid is so he doesn't end up with holes and so i don't have to drill into mine. The only thing I didn't think about beforehand is opening the trunk with the key, my key now opens his trunk and his mine. I didn't look hard at it but is this something I can change easily? Another thing is his was an '01 and had the safety trunk release on the inside of the lid around the lock whereas mine didn't. Has anyone ever done this kind of exchange? I could do a write up even tho he did all the labor but its all pretty simple without considering the lock part which I haven't done yet.

Also for anyone who got the OEM spoiler installed from the dealer does the weight of the spoiler make the trunk close on you a lot? When we did the swap, his trunk lid became really springy and opened up by itself where as mine did the opposite.
The lock should be an easy swap. Just take some time to look at the assembly and find how it works. Then unbolt it and switch them. A haynes manual might help further too. I don't see why it would be hard.

And the OEM spoiler comes with new heavy duty trunk lid springs that is designed to hold up the heavier trunk lid. The spoiler adds enough weight that the stock one will have a hard time staying open. So you'll have to swap that out too.

·
Registered
866 Posts
RMAN456 said:
thankss a lot. I figured it couldn't be too hard but I thought i'd ask to see if there was something i wouldn't think of. i appreciate the reply.
No problem. I'm not much of a body guy so I can't help you on the cracked wing part. Though bondo might be your answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts