Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to understand a bit about the ECU's. Basically, the P28/P72/P06, etc. are compatible with the eCtune and Neptune because of the obd1 socket, which is why I would need to switch to one for tuning for turbo.

So some of my options for engine management are:

option 1:
P series ECU....................................................$200
eCtune or neptune............................................$400
ostrich............................................................$200
TOTAL............................................................$800
+ the price of a laptop to run the system..............$300
Would I always have to have the laptop installed with option 1, or only when the car is datalogging or being tuned? I will probably have a local tuner do the tuning for the car, so is this even really needed?

option 2:
P series ECU.....................................................$200
Hondata S300 system package............................$490
TOTAL.............................................................$690
This seems like the most affordable option. I read that it isn't as good as the sds-efi, but I'm still not sure what the sds-efi even is. If I have a MSD ignition, does the sds-efi become pointless? Does the MSD 6AL box do the coil to plug thing that the sds-efi does? Sorry about that last question, as you can see I have a lot to learn.

option 3:
sds-efi, which I'm still having trouble finding info on.

Thanks in advance for any help and insight that you can provide in helping me with my project!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Option 1

You will not always need to have the laptop in the car

Option 2 is better than option 1, But I don't think you have to spend that extra $200 on an ecu, I am pretty sure you can just by the s300 ecu from Hondata.

Option 3
If you want big boy tuning buy a stand alone ECU, ;) Aka Haltech, Mo tec, but the AEM will be the cheapest on the market. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my goals for this project will be 250 whp on stock internals as long as the connecting rods will support this. I will install a thicker head gasket as well.

For this, do you think I need something as sophisticated as the stand alones, or will the hondata do the job well?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
For 250whp and a basic build the s300 is perfect, Your rods should be fine.

I wouldn't bother with a thicker head gasket to lower comp by a couple points just get a good head gasket, Cometic is the way to go.

It is never a bad idea to upgrade injectors and fuel pump. RC 440's and a Walboro and you are golden.;)

A clutch is a good addition to put the power down, You will probably cook your oem one in time.

And some ARP headbolts are also a good investment.

Ya gotta pay to play sir:cool

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
h22 makes 160Whp...if you SNEEZE and squirt it will make 250Whp..ull be fine...personally if all you want is 150whp, i would go all motor...now THTS FUN.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point, tienlude

Now that I'm compromising on what to do, this might be an option. What would I need to go all motor?

The way I see it, it may be less money for me to start with the mild turbo setup. Then, if I want to build onto that, I would just need stand-alone ecu and a motor build and then I can increase turbo pressure. Whereas, if I go all motor, if I wanted to expand from there I would need to consider a completely different build based around a turbo, correct?

I'm really glad you brought this up, but I think that the all motor setup will limit me in the future if I want to expand from there. Considering the parts that I have and will be able to use for the turbo project, I think that this will be the least expensive option, but I'm not sure, so I could use a good idea of what I would need to go all motor and get 250whp.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
a lot of ways to do all motor, if you want ONLY 250Whp..then you STILL need a SIC ass tune...

so whatever you do, pick an ecu you want.

then..for all motor..

ull need a built head for sure..stage 3 cams and cam gears..titaniume valves and retainers

bigger intake manifold/ or ITB's but thts a drastic..and bad for the street, so ive heard..

thinner head gasket, and high compression pistons

a beast exhaust

and a BEAST header...bisimoto, hytech, pro speed, several others but they run almost a grand a piece, depending..

you get all that...without porting or getting n e thing oversized...

then 370 injectors...

and go get TUNED!!!

250whp...done. youll be KILLING folks in that accord...turbo cars, new cars, muscle cars..

lord...it will be a beast...

oh, and while the engine is out, pull your automatic belt tensioner and convert it to manual...because its an interference engine and if that auto belt tensioner blows, so will your engine..

*sad face*

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
several companies for cams

several companies for headers

several for Intake manifolds

several for pistons

several for springs, valves and retainers

its a LOT of research and pricing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, this seems more overwhelming than the turbo install, but I just need time to price this out in comparison with the turbo install. This sounds like a lot more to do for 250whp than the turbo system. If I'm doing all of this, wouldn't it be better to build for big turbo horsepower? It seems like I would be building the whole motor.

One thing I noticed is that the s300 is only for a manual transmission, so this won't work for me and my auto transmission, this is really seeming like the limiting factor. It would be nice to be able to use what I have, but I'm having trouble finding engine management that will work with an automatic transmission.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts