Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
only 29 looks in 7 days?? let me get this thing going so people can argue about my points and call me stupid :p

cast manifolds are normally logs.
tubular of course is normally tubular....

logs are known to not flow as well as tubular manifolds yet they are one piece designs that won't crack as easily as the welds on a tubular manifold. They also can withstand more stress from larger turbos before cracking as opposed to all those wonderful tubular manifolds which generally require bracing.

tubular manifolds disperse heat faster due to be steel instead of cast iron and non-porous. However, it all depends on WHAT type of steel they are made of and whether they are coated or plated or just plain left alone.

equal length manifolds flow better than unequal length manifolds (for the most point). however, equal length manifolds are the hardest to design to clear everything else in the engine bay without having to delete/relocate things. Cast iron manifolds are the easiest to toss in and keep things.

Also, a layman can design a log type manifold from a pair of adapter plates and some steel pipe 90's and T's (yes, I said steel not cast iron....most people don't have high nickel rods laying around to weld with cast iron duhhhh...not to mention...why would you WANT to).

after you get the basic log welded then you can CHOOSE where to mount your flange for best location. logs, depending on size, will flow up to 400 hp if not maybe more depending on well you design them....if you want sky's the limit performance then go tubular of course....

I know I missed quite a bit but I don't want to put too much time into this as I'm trying to bid on some wheels on ebay right now :p

have fun!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well...cast manifolds are usually meant for inline setups because a manifold doesn't have to be as complicated and the amount of metal used wouldn't hurt the curb weight as much. Manifolds for other engines such as V8s and boxers require tubular manifolds if they were to go single turbo setups because of length of the manifold. A cast manifold would also require the turbo to be placed by the exhaust ports for ease. While a tubular would allow the turbo to be placed at a more preferred location which could affect numerous other things such as turbo size allowed and the intercooler piping. A upstream catalytic converter can also be placed before the turbo which helps cold start emissions.

·
Registered
641 Posts
tubular manifolds disperse heat faster due to be steel instead of cast iron and non-porous. However, it all depends on WHAT type of steel they are made of and whether they are coated or plated or just plain left alone.

Yes, thats correct, and i would go with a tubular if you are looking for high numbers, more boost more heat.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
tubular is the way to go for the most power but then in turn you will most likely lose your a/c and have to get a 1/2 radiator. Log types are good for street setups, the only down side is on most log type manifolds the wastegate placement is poor and cant pull air from all cylinders...However Inline Pro has a very well designed cast manifold which has very good wastegate placement, and thats what im going with :t2

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Of course it does, less piping would mean better response. Having a turbo far away from the motor would take more time for the exhaust gases to reach the turbo. And I would think the piping can get real ugly if it was too long. Theres also some physics behind the length of each piping as it goes into one pipe before the turbo. Most people would prefer equal length piping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.