Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what's up. I need to tune my car, I have a dyno shop that will do it. Question is, should I go with Hondata S300 for $560 (including ECU mod) or should I modify the ECU so I can run crome? I'm guessing it would be just as much $$ to get the Ostrich and chip writer and everything all said and done, whereas S300 is all in one (I like this convenience feature) and probably a little bit more work to do the Crome way. I have a P72 that I'll be using so I can retain knock/IAB.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Go to the shop that will be tuning your car and ask them what they are most familar and comfortable working with. Chances are that it'll be hondata since Crome isn't as mainstream.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, my next question is this--
will This do everything I need? I know it's a realtime emulator, but I don't know if it's like the ostrich that they offer (as in I don't have to take it out) I don't mean to be a complete noob about all this, but I just want to make sure there's nothing else I'll need to buy (i.e. HULOG for datalogging--it says D/L is built in) Also does anyone know if it is able to log a wideband 02 sensor if I splurge for one of those as well?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
What all is done to you engine? Deciding between an S300 and Crome is like night and day. What are your goals?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mods are:
stage 2 crower cams/full valvetrain
I/H/E
55 shot dry ZEX...might get rid of it, I've already burned a motor with it...
new t-belt w/h23 man. tensioner conversion
all the basic bolt-ons, I want to make smooth power while keeping the motor within safe parameters.
I would like the ability to tune myself in the future, which is why I want a datalogger. I would like to bring the car to the track occasionally (maybe twice a year).
There are several places that tune around here with crome, and a couple that do hondata, a few of them do both. Based upon my setup/needs which would you recommend, and why are they night/day difference?

·
Registered
699 Posts
if you are going to run nitrous, the only option is hondata since it has nitrous control. Crome doesnt.

if you drop the nitrous, use crome and pay 150 for Crome Pro so you can map trace and datalog in Crome.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i realize that hondata has nitrous control...but it won't work w/zex because of the all in one brain and not a separate fuel solenoid and nitrous solenoid...at least that's what the hondata website said. Runs off the TPS sensor and a +12v switched source and regulates fuel pressure by "pinching" the vacuum line to the factory FPR...I could still use it w/crome as a standalone as it is now and just have separate maps for nitrous/non nitrous (I think, I'm not arguing). I like the boost it adds, but I haven't had good luck with it in my car, so if it comes down to not using it w/crome for tuning purposes, I'll gladly nix it for a good tune. Hell, it'll help finance the tune :)
Oh, and I was planning on trading an intake mani for crome pro if I do go crome (definitely leaning towards it based on the recommendations of this forum and the support level it seems to offer)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
JDubsLoPro said:
mods are:
stage 2 crower cams/full valvetrain
I/H/E
55 shot dry ZEX...might get rid of it, I've already burned a motor with it...
new t-belt w/h23 man. tensioner conversion
all the basic bolt-ons, I want to make smooth power while keeping the motor within safe parameters.
I would like the ability to tune myself in the future, which is why I want a datalogger. I would like to bring the car to the track occasionally (maybe twice a year).
There are several places that tune around here with crome, and a couple that do hondata, a few of them do both. Based upon my setup/needs which would you recommend, and why are they night/day difference?

:giggle Honestly i dont know why i said that? But since you are planning on eventually tuning yourself and so on. Either package would suit you fine, just depends on what you want to spend and what you and the person that will initially tune the engine is more comfy with. I would have suggested a simple S100, before you mentioned tuning yourself. :D

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
if youre interested, my s300 is for sale. never opened, comes with everything. id like to get 500, since i paid 610 from king motorsports after shipping, and i never used it.

the reason i am selling is cause it isnt compatible with the auto trans have. PM if interested. for a full spec sheet, visit www.hondata.com and click the s300 link.

·
Registered
699 Posts
JDubsLoPro said:
i realize that hondata has nitrous control...but it won't work w/zex because of the all in one brain and not a separate fuel solenoid and nitrous solenoid...at least that's what the hondata website said. Runs off the TPS sensor and a +12v switched source and regulates fuel pressure by "pinching" the vacuum line to the factory FPR...I could still use it w/crome as a standalone as it is now and just have separate maps for nitrous/non nitrous (I think, I'm not arguing). I like the boost it adds, but I haven't had good luck with it in my car, so if it comes down to not using it w/crome for tuning purposes, I'll gladly nix it for a good tune. Hell, it'll help finance the tune :)
Oh, and I was planning on trading an intake mani for crome pro if I do go crome (definitely leaning towards it based on the recommendations of this forum and the support level it seems to offer)
the problem is that your car is going to be tuned for nitrous at all times unless you have nitrous control. You have to retard the timing to keep cylinder pressures safe and to essentially run the car richer. Running rich = bad gas mileage and crappy daily driving.

As i just said, i wouldnt let a noob use it yet. There are errors in just about every beta version that comes out. People that have experience tuning, go out and test them then let John Cui know whats wrong with them. They are not for people with inexperience. Once all the bugs are fixed, it is then officially released.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no it's cool...I wouldn't do the primary tuning myself anyway--I would have an experienced tuner make me a good street/dyno tune, and maybe (if I do keep it) have the nitrous tune done separately into another file so that when I do run nitrous I can just load that file and go (going to get an ostrich to do away with burning eprom chips). I'm still debating whether or not to keep the nitrous, my primary concern is engine safety/longevity--used loosely. I don't expect it to run for 10 years, but another 2-3 would be sweet. And by the way, I have decided to run Crome, courtesy to the helpful insight you guys have provided :btu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.