Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the next month i will have my A'PEXi Power Fc for my JDM B16A... i have basic bolt ons and i was curious what would be ness. in order to tune the car myself... i have heard many people say that tuning your car on your own is the best way to do it and it will help you understand more about your motor.

What are the risks that go along with this, what are the pro/cons pretty much, would you recommend that i take it to a shop and have it tuned, or should i wait till i get more mods and then do a full tune?

any insight is helpful! thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i'm looking to have a majority of A'PEXi parts and i have alot so far, and i have no prob;ems with them at all... and i what i should have said or clarified was what is needed for a street tune since i can drive around and tune the air/fuel, timing, and vtec...

i was looking to do the street tune for now and then go for a basic tune after i get springs, valves, retainers, and maybe some cams

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
You do realize that to run a power fc you will also need a wideband o2 gauge and controller....so after all is said and done you will have dropped over 1000-1200 on anywhere from ZERO to 5 horsepower.

Your engine is basically stock. Adding a sophisticated and overpriced tuning tool like that is a complete and utter waste.

Do a crazy n/a build with 13:1 pistons and stage 3 cams, or a 450 whp turbo setup.... and maybe get a power fc...except it's one of the most expensive routes to take...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the turbo setup is under construction as we speak :bash

you don't really think i would have paid for that for a basic tune! i L-O-L ed, no the hatch will be going turbo... believe me, it will not be a basic and stock B16A

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
oh....well you said that you just have basic bolt ons in your first post.....

so that changes everything...in that case I would recommend just getting a hondata s200 with boost and getting it dyno tuned...it will cost less.

Or if you really want to street tune....convert to OBD-1 and do it via crome or uberdata

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gurusan said:
oh....well you said that you just have basic bolt ons in your first post.....

so that changes everything...in that case I would recommend just getting a hondata s200 with boost and getting it dyno tuned...it will cost less.

Or if you really want to street tune....convert to OBD-1 and do it via crome or uberdata

i'm already OBD 1, had to do it with the motor swap! went from a 99 civic hatch to a 1992 civic SiR OBD1 swap... but the reason i want the apex part is when i list shit i have done, i will show apex part after apex part...

A'PEXi N1 exhaust
A'PEXi Civic Type R GT header
A'PEXi Power Fc
A'PEX N1 coilovers

just want a nice and clean list of the same parts... but hey thats me!

·
Registered
325 Posts
gurusan said:
....but you just said you were going turbo?
i think he doesnt really know what he's doing.

matching parts is in all honesty kinda lame i tried it once and realized that brand name doesnt mean shit i just go with what i know works and has been proven to work on countless ocassions

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, yes i decided to go turbo unfortunately after i bought the header and such... so yes i wasted money... and yes i like A'PEXi but personally i would only want the matching parts when it comes to the valve train ( springs, valves, and retainers ) and i plan on using Crower parts for all of that.

I will of course have to sell the header and the exhaust and have custom 3" piping all the way through for the turbo setup...

but yes i do plan to go turbo and i would like to keep it at about 6-7 psi since i'm still on the stock block and all... the plans are to eventually be at 300-350 whp, anymore than that would be kind of dumb in my car.. and by that time the hatch should weigh about 2,250 lbs

·
Registered
699 Posts
theres a reason for using matching components in the head.

1 would be the warranty
2 would be clearances

if something goes wrong with miss matched parts, the company will have nothing to do with you since you didnt use the parts that are supposed to be used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.