Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any guideline where you can match how stiff your shock absorbes should be once you know what the spring rates are?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea...see this what the problem i'm having right now. i have tein s tech+kyb agx. the tein springs are very soft and low as you said (235F/140R) vs stock (201F/99.8R). so when i set both F /R to the lowest setting on the agx (just to test the extreme case), it gives me a poor ride as the rims/tires bouncing hard up/down and keep hitting the fender. so then i gradually increase the shocks rate until they don't really the fenders that much. by this time though, it's almost max for both F/R (3 out of 4 F and 7 out of 8 R), and i mean they're not terribly bouncy that you will jump up and down your seat, but you can feel they're bouncy. i understand you can have the ideal situation with the true coilover cause the spring and shocks absorber rate are matched together. but is this all you can have with shocks/spring combination?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
ok..this seems to be a common misconception that shocks were valved according to a certain spring rate..this is NOT true...if a shock can dampen a spring rate properly, then the shock is good for the spring you are using...that's all there is to it...then you start looking at shock dynos to see which shock offers you the desired range and dampening

set the settings to whatever you find the best...everyone will like a certain setting better than others

my suggestion...check to see if your agx are blown...because they should easily dampen those rates

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i'm not quite too sure if they're blown since i've just installed them for 2 days. and the problem is that the wheels keep hitting the fender (even set at the lowest F and R) and rubbing when hard cornering.
is there any fixes to the fender hitting?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
kommon_sense said:
My vote would be to ditch those springs. Not wise to lower using springs that are barely stiffer than stock. Not sure what tein was thinking here...

However as stated, the kyb's should easily be able to dampen those springs even on their softest settings.
yeah..the springs probably dropped your car alot...and then the low rates still give you body roll and the fenders being closer to your tires, rub...with the agx set on almost full stiff the shock itself is actually sorta help keep your car level

are you using stock wheels or aftermarket? what size tires? width and offset of wheels?

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah..the springs probably dropped your car alot...and then the low rates still give you body roll and the fenders being closer to your tires, rub...with the agx set on almost full stiff the shock itself is actually sorta help keep your car level

are you using stock wheels or aftermarket? what size tires? width and offset of wheels?
AGX set? is this the best thing that i could buy this day? any suggestions? other brands? i haven't heard that brand from my friends and also in here. also what shock absorbers do you have? who also sells that kind of part in here? thanks! sorry for digging this one i just have so many concerns. Maybe i should create a new thread. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts