Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which engine is a better candidate for running a turbo? I hear the LS engine handles boost better

· Registered
141 Posts
Why are you guys telling him to turbo an LS over a GSR?

Fvckin rediculous.

GSR for sure.

Please tell me why the LS is better.
I can't wait for this.

GSR advantages
8000 redline instead of 7000(or what ever the fvck it is) Most turbo's will keep making power up top @ a low enough boost setting.

Higher compression. (You're going to make more power at the same boost)

Block Girdle

Oil Squirters

Vtec (Turbo's react well with vtec)

· Registered
2,369 Posts
only good thing about ls is low compression ratio, it allows error in tuning the turbo.

gsr is harder to tune that's all.

but if done right, gsr will always out performs ls engine.

gsr also got good rod and valves, i heard this from an interview ith the creator of spoon on an interview. he believes the b18c1 is the best engine to turbo.

· Registered
834 Posts
ls = 9.2:1 compression 10psi with dsm 450cc injectors and a afc and ill be in a 13.1 all day. all for under 2g's. under 4 with the swap into my car

· Registered
141 Posts
crazed87 said:
only good thing about ls is low compression ratio, it allows error in tuning the turbo.
Yep. But now a days we have the engine management to keep the engine in check.

crazed87 said:

gsr also got good rod and valves, i heard this from an interview ith the creator of spoon on an interview. he believes the b18c1 is the best engine to turbo.
I agree with him. :cool:

· Registered
141 Posts
aemcivic_02917 said:
check what happened to this puppy had everything good in it as for a/f

http://www.**********.com/zerothread?id=169002

its h o n d a - t e c h. c o m

blew the sleve right out of it. ls turbo is buddget and makes tons of safe power.

Ghey, no engine management. :rolleyes:

How do we know his air/fuel was good on that run?

It's not all about a/f either. How was his timing on that run?

DId he have a datalogger so we can see what was going on to the engine? And why it blew?
Do we know how many miles the motor had?
Had it ever detonated in the past?
He well was it tunes?
What was the Timing set at?
What did the a/f curve look like?

The old way of tuning:

"Raise the Fuel Pressure, retard the timing, and PREY!"

· Registered
345 Posts
Rev Hard Stage 2 GSR Here!!

I have had my kit on since may and only had clutch issues!! If you have a good install and keep in safer range shouldn't have any issues if motor is in good shape!! In 4th can feel the dual intake runners open up' extra boost!! :) Here is what I have got out of a full interior GSR on slicks! 8psi' basic kit!

Mark
*Either way you will love BoosT! Period...

· Registered
34 Posts
personal opinion:
LS is a good motor for a few reasons 1) its cheaper 2) the tranny has longer gears allowing to build more boost and stay at full boost for longer, and yes you could put an ls tranny on a b18c1 but that would be a pointless downgrade. 3) its cheaper 4) the lower compression and fairly strong internals, not that the gsr has weak internals, but if its a first engine to turbo then the margin of error that the lower compression allows can end up saving alot of money. oh and reason number five, its cheaper. but once again this is all personal opinion, except fot the its cheaper part that is a fact. The gsr is definetly gonna be able to produce more power at the same amount of boost but when it comes down to it not everyone can pay 3500 bucks for an engine to learn the ups and downs of "the dark side". I can get an ls for 1200 or cheaper, full swap, and blow it learn from my mistake and buy another and still have spent less than one gsr. so in short gsr will produce more power but the ls is definetly a respectable engine, oh and its cheaper.

SPK

· Registered
834 Posts
yea deffently cheaper. as i said before and 300hp isnt hard to make with stock internals. as i said before i should be at around 297 to the wheels with just dsm 450cc's , afc, msd 6al with the btm and 10psi. all on 94 octane hopfully.

· Registered
834 Posts
yea deffently cheaper. as i said before and 300hp isnt hard to make with stock internals. as i said before i should be at around 297 to the wheels with just dsm 450cc's , afc, msd 6al with the btm and 10psi. all on 94 octane hopfully.

· Registered
320 Posts
Here's the thing...on the street, with the stock motor, the variance in compression won't raise the issue of tuning so much as to even make it an...issue. The compression is not that high.

So, those saying that the LS is better because you can mess up while tuning it...is this really your outlook? Do you take your car to tuners who do an "ok" job?

For the most part, on the street...they both won't need too much tuning. The GSR, ideally, will need a little more tuning, maybe a little less timing...but realistically, the problem probably won't even arise. We aren't talking about fully built 670hp drag motors.

Both motors can stand just about the same torture, the LS has the lower CR, and the GSR has the oil squirters...and I see it as an even trade-off if you ask me. So what sets them apart? The GSR has a better flowing head, stronger valvetrain to support a higher redline, better r:s ratio to supprt a higher redline, etc. Power is a combination of torque and RPM.

So, neither compression ratio is good or bad...they pretty much offset each other, and in the end, the GSR will own the LS.

· Registered
834 Posts
for more money of couse insted spend the extra 1200-1300 from the price of a ls swp and do a fully built ls then see who wins... i ant doggin gsr motors there quality shit just us budget peps get the ls and get some high numbers from them. DOhc is dohc thats all that matters :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.